the 14 or more types of annoying anime fans

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: the 14 or more types of annoying anime fans

Post by greg »

I was to ever cosplay, I would go as the Little Lad, the spokesman for the short-lived Berries & Cream Starburst. "Berries & Cream! Berries & Cream! I'm a little lad who likes Berries & Cream!"
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

The only cosplay I will even consider is Shain and I going as the characters from the Bible cartoon "Flying House". We'll need a robot and a Corky, though.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, I used to watch Flying House and Superbook in Sunday school when I was a kid! It's interesting how CBN hired Tatsunoko to make cartoons for their channel back in the 80s.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Still better than modern anime fans, who can only handle nothing but new series with even more expository dialogue, ultra-fast pacing and shot lengths (or otherwise it's "boring") and everything spoonfed to them, from character personalities to motivations to the plot as a whole.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I've probably only come across like 2 or 3 of those listed. These are the ones I've run into...

The "I only like anime because my friends like it" fans: The ones who bandwagon after their friends, and they form a little bubble group that tends to only hang out with eachother. They go to cons together, they watch everything together, and they like all the same things, and have no opinions of their own, because if they go against the grain, they are kicked from the group.

The "new anime is better than old anime" fan.

The fan who is better than all the other fans because they love EVERYTHING, and think everyone else with even the tiniest opinion about something we both like is a "hater".

The "let's cosplay something that's not even an anime, and go to all the anime cons" fans. They don't even watch anime, or if they do...it's like 2 series, tops.

The "I don't care about your anime, let's only watch my anime" fan. I had friends who basically forced me to watch what they were into, and never gave a lick about things I wanted to share with them.

The biggest consumer fan. The one who watches everything and anything and just consumes all of it, without really liking one particular series. Someone who cares more about quantity than quality.

The download/torrent/pirate only fan. Even if you can watch or buy it legally somewhere else, to support the show, this fan will still go download a crappy quality version somewhere JUST BECAUSE.

The "my cosplay is better than your cosplay" cosplayer. They are the worst. They hate on everyone. They pick out the people who are overweight, whose costume is missing anything, who did it better, and that's pretty much all they talk about the entire con. They are not fun to hang around with.

I could probably go on. LOL
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I hate cosplayers most of all. Cosplay is how you turn anime into ani-ME. Because LOOK AT MEEEEE I totally look like this character that I saw once on the internet and totally fell in love with her and her outfit was sooo cute that I had to make it and I love the show it's awesome I've seen like 3 episodes of it.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Man there sure is a lot of hate for cosplayers on this forum. :lol:

My friends and I have all cosplayed, and I would love to get back into it. But I think cosplayers are stereotyped and misunderstood a lot nowadays, what with media picking favorites, and a lot of the drama queens out there. But cosplay is so much fun. It's like Halloween at a convention, and my friends and I didn't care if anyone knew who were were or wanted our pictures. We took pictures of ourselves, and always had a blast. I think most people do it that way, outside of people clamoring for attention. People do forget cosplay is for fun, and it's not a popularity contest.

Besides, I love it when people do dress up as an older anime or something obscure, those are usually the coolest people to talk to.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Old bump! Hilarious thread. It did feel like the cosplay trend blew the fanzine-makers out of focus around 2004+, but to me also it's to do with the social-media push we're all experiencing, the visual side, the consumer angle, in reward for likes, instant visuals, share fast and furiously.

I see so many posts asking "what fanart shall I draw?" and "who shall I cosplay as?" - it's a huge pet peeve of mine, I mean, how about draw or make a costume for something you genuinely like, not fishing for popularity? *Crying*

(FWIW I have cosplayed a bit, but it's not a way of life for me like making comics etc)
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Animusubi wrote:
The download/torrent/pirate only fan. Even if you can watch or buy it legally somewhere else, to support the show, this fan will still go download a crappy quality version somewhere JUST BECAUSE.
I ran into that person a couple of years ago when me and a buddy were talking about shows coming out on DVD and Bluray walking down the hallways minding our own business, when we hear some punk behind us say "DUDE, WHY DON'T YOU JUST PIRATE THAT SHIT!" in a very snarky, elitist, assholly way. Me and my bud both had that "Hey look dude, were we talking to you?" face towards him.

I'd image that scene is becoming worse these days, or then again better, not really sure.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Ok, but I have to admit after importing a whole slew of Animage magazines recently, they are heavy. :lol:

Honestly, I think most people are like this -
One-note-wonders who concentrate on ONE SINGLE aspect of fandom - like, "I only like this one show or this one activity" - and get annoyed at fans or conventions that don't show their "special thing" enough respect. My advice is for these people to start their own fan clubs and hold their own conventions. We'll all be happier.
I know lots of people that only watch one specific genre of anime, or won't touch anything remotely not yaoi related or just like cons for cosplay and nothing but cosplay. And you know, that's absolutely fine because if we all liked the same thing, there wouldn't be enough time and space for us all to enjoy it. It's like, I hate seeing Vic Mignogna at a convention I'm attending because he's such a creep, but he always draws a large crowd and is great to have around when you absolutely want something signed by another guest and want fewer people in your line.

However, I do think that the people who are financially backing the con should have more say over your average attendee as to what guests are invited. If someone and their group of friends are the ones dropping the most cash at an auction that sponsors the con and they're all in agreement as to the type of guests they'd like, yes, that should be considered.