the 14 or more types of annoying anime fans

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: the 14 or more types of annoying anime fans

Post by DKop »

Akage wrote:
It's like, I hate seeing Vic Mignogna at a convention I'm attending because he's such a creep, but he always draws a large crowd and is great to have around when you absolutely want something signed by another guest and want fewer people in your line.
Despite peoples opinions on Vic, he does bring in crowds and does seem to enjoy his fans. He's essentially a cult leader of sorts with his followers, but as long as animal blood doesn't flow through the halls from sacrifices then he's not really hurting anything. I know of a couple of stories about him (especially on about him being kicked out at Animazement 2008, which was his one and only time there), but I'm not gonna have a solid opinion of the guy till I actually meet him one-to-one, which may or may not happen one day.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Weeeeellllll I dunno about him "not hurting anything" cuz he has been banned from cons in the past for "behavior" reasons. That alone is a red flag for me. :?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I have a Vic story!

(Because of course I do. )

This occurred during Vic's last time at SakuraCon in 2013.

Went to eat lunch with a good friend of mine at the Cheesecake Factory located across the street from the convention center. It was towards the end of the lunch rush, around 3 pm, but the waiting area was still crowded with families and small children. Vic walks in wearing a pair of raspberry hotpants (with a leather tie up string ><') that he's about 30 years too old to be wearing. Whatever. No one cared since he seemed to fit in with the rest of the cosplayers inside, and most of us were more annoyed by a Vanellope cosplayer who couldn't understand why the cardboard car cutout she made wouldn't fit in the coat closet and subsequently why the restaurant would not sit her.

Vic takes out his cellphone in front of us in the waiting area. He's angry, and cussing into his cellphone. He yells "I don't give a f--k what you have to do, just clear my schedule!". For a man who cares about his fans, especially younger fans, this blew my mind. The respect I had for him and how he will stay after his autograph session to sign stuff for his fans just went out the door. He then insisted that the staff sit him immediately, and despite having a buzzing buzzer and standing right in front of staff to be lead to my table, Vic tried to convince staff to give him my table. Fortunately, staff wasn't having any of it, and Vic stormed out of the restaurant....which, was good because frankly, I was not in a mood to share those delightful bites of fried macaroni and cheese goodness with anyone.

I can appreciate you not wanting to listen to all the Vic anecdotes, DKop, but while the man might be a decent VA (although I think he makes every character sound the same) and do nice things for fans when he's on the clock, he's otherwise a sleazy jerk.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I guess this is turning into the 14 or more types of annoying anime industry professionals. (^_^;)

That seems like kinda the tragic magic of anime fandom, though -- the fans are creeps, the importers are creeps, the animators are creeps, the manga creators are creeps, just an endless chain of creeps and weirdos, and yet when you watch a good simulcast of an amazing show and it ends up breaking even financially, too... that's just the greatest feeling, and for it to have happened, there needed to be this whole otaku infrastructure that everyone has been working on for the past few decades.

I hate to go back to the Flip Flappers analogy, but it really does seem like the relationship of the various Flip Flappers characters to Pure Illusion is good shorthand for anime fandom and the anime industry... you have all these imperfect people (to put it politely), who may actually hate eachother, yet they've all come together to reach this place they can't reach by themselves, they spend all this time and money trying to creating gates into it, keep them open no matter what crap comes flowing out, and then if they shut somehow, trying to get back to it, that strange anime land. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

It's interesting how the the people who have actually encountered Vic in the flesh do seem to all have less-than-favorable stories about him. There are so many negative first-hand stories about this guy, from people all over the map.

For my own part, I've witnessed a few instances where he used his "star power" in ways that were neither positive nor helpful, both in private situations and at public convention events.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

So it seems that with Vic he is nothing but an act.

It's amazing to hear stories like what you saw Akage, then again have him stand up to christian protesters at North Carolina cons and defend the people at the con while acting well, more rightous than the protesters.

My story (to sum up), came from an Animazement staffer that basicly was that vic had his fangirl group in his hotel room late Saturday night, and he was intoxicated being around teenage girls. Once con staff found out, they told him to get his s--t and get the f--k out.

I can understand people not being perfect, but coming form a Christian perspective, christians are to have a holier aspect to them than non-christians, or really to be set apart from non believers in terms of beliefs and actions (like, i dunno, dropping the F bomb in a public place you what you described Akage). The real question to me is his faith, but that is something that is only between him and God, and if people don't know what he's really like, the truth will come out soon enough. I understand we got our personal demons to deal with, but in a public setting like how you describe Akage, that isn't cool coming from anyone.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:It's interesting how the the people who have actually encountered Vic in the flesh do seem to all have less-than-favorable stories about him. There are so many negative first-hand stories about this guy, from people all over the map.

For my own part, I've witnessed a few instances where he used his "star power" in ways that were neither positive nor helpful, both in private situations and at public convention events.
Yeah, I've had to deal with him a few times while helping out at different cons & I won't go into details but he definitely wasn't someone I'd want to be around voluntarily, to put it nicely. :lol:

But I think that's enough of discussing good ol' Vic for this thread. I think most of us are aware of him by now, lol.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*