Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

Post by labsenpai »

blacotaku1 wrote:Newtype is magical and everyone needs to experience this magazine. So, what I decided to do and share the same experience that I have with the magazine is scan the books at work and do my best to edit and post them on (Shameless plug) http://oldtypenewtype.tumblr.com. I pick the mags at random and scan the pages that will interest the readers.
Having donated my collection to a museum, I want to shake your hand for making the effort to display the material. I haven't seen all of the ones from the first 3 years, so some of your scans are new to me. Crazy to think the last of my issues would be over a decade old now. Feel free to add my pics here to your tumblr (just credit my contribution). The majority of NT booklets/cards I still own will fit a normal scanner.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Are you after only New Type then? My mag collection predates them, with mags like Animage, My Anime, Animedia, etc. Had them from 1980 to 2000, so there are quite a lot of mags if I wanted to scan them. New Type won't fit the scanner platen but some of the other mags might. Confirmed! All of those mags other than New Type will fit my current scanner. Let me know if you need any scans from them, and in what resolution/file size...

Okay, today is a mostly free day for me so I'll see what mag covers I can scan using Vuescan at a print resolution. File sizes will be large but can be scaled back for web use. I'll arbitrarily make the cut off point January 1990 (though I just found an almost complete run of New Type from 1999 just now) which should keep me busy for the better part of the day. We'll see what I can come up with. Then, let me know where you want to put these and if you want any interior pages or articles as well...

Got about 15 issues scanned now. 2500X3500 pixels in size saved as Tiffs. I can put these raw files on my One or Google drives and then you can download them for further post processing. I should have a fair number of these by supper time which I think will be a good cut-off time for the day. I can load them up overnight and I can provide a link for those interested. Good?

5:30PM now. I need to do something else for a bit but I still have a stack I'm going to do. The mags I've done include: The Anime, My Anime, Animedia and Animage from 1980 - 1989. I would like to get around 100 issues scanned but we'll see.

8:30PM now. Got about 70 mags done. Average file size is about 10 MB so they should be easy to work with. Giving it a rest for a bit before I complete the last of the pile...

12 midnight. Okay, enough for now. I'll post these to my Cloud drive and then let you know how to get them if you are interested. Might be awhile before I do more though. Potentially, there should be around 4 - 500 mags I could scan with the criteria I set. Would take some days or weeks to find them all though.

5:30AM Got them uploaded to OneDrive. Let me know if you want a link to them and if you can download them. I set the folder to "Public" so you should have no trouble doing so. There are 100 issues available...

_D_

Post by _D_ »

In order to properly scan the NewType mags I figure I can do it with my 8MP point and shoot camera or else one of my tablets with a good tripod mount. Definitely going to look into this. There are other solutions but they cost hundreds of dollars to pursue which is too much for just experimentation. If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in...
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:Are you after only New Type then? My mag collection predates them, with mags like Animage, My Anime, Animedia, etc. Had them from 1980 to 2000, so there are quite a lot of mags if I wanted to scan them. New Type won't fit the scanner platen but some of the other mags might. Confirmed! All of those mags other than New Type will fit my current scanner. Let me know if you need any scans from them, and in what resolution/file size...

Okay, today is a mostly free day for me so I'll see what mag covers I can scan using Vuescan at a print resolution. File sizes will be large but can be scaled back for web use. I'll arbitrarily make the cut off point January 1990 (though I just found an almost complete run of New Type from 1999 just now) which should keep me busy for the better part of the day. We'll see what I can come up with. Then, let me know where you want to put these and if you want any interior pages or articles as well...

Got about 15 issues scanned now. 2500X3500 pixels in size saved as Tiffs. I can put these raw files on my One or Google drives and then you can download them for further post processing. I should have a fair number of these by supper time which I think will be a good cut-off time for the day. I can load them up overnight and I can provide a link for those interested. Good?

5:30PM now. I need to do something else for a bit but I still have a stack I'm going to do. The mags I've done include: The Anime, My Anime, Animedia and Animage from 1980 - 1989. I would like to get around 100 issues scanned but we'll see.

8:30PM now. Got about 70 mags done. Average file size is about 10 MB so they should be easy to work with. Giving it a rest for a bit before I complete the last of the pile...

12 midnight. Okay, enough for now. I'll post these to my Cloud drive and then let you know how to get them if you are interested. Might be awhile before I do more though. Potentially, there should be around 4 - 500 mags I could scan with the criteria I set. Would take some days or weeks to find them all though.

5:30AM Got them uploaded to OneDrive. Let me know if you want a link to them and if you can download them. I set the folder to "Public" so you should have no trouble doing so. There are 100 issues available...

I would love a link if you still have these online, D! :D

As for the Newtype size issue, I'm not sure...I know someone who scans Newtypes (he's got a great blog, oldtypenewtype.tumblr.com), but I think he's got one of those oversized scanners to use for it.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_

Post by _D_ »

I have stitching software that can take two images and combine them into one but its a pain to use. I could then scan in two parts and combine them. Still waiting on my Epson purchase which is why I was looking at the camera route. Then there is this:

http://www.piqximaging.com/xcanex

But only if I was seriously considering transferring everything I own to digital.

I'll get you the link ASAP...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Okay. I think I can get away with using PTGUI to stitch together two (or more) scans to get a full NewType cover. I wrote to that fellow who runs the NewType/OldType website but I haven't heard back from him yet. I thought you were him (mistakingly). I just found still another drawer filled with more mags so its time I started scanning again. I'll provide a link to those interested when I have another batch completed. For interior pages and/or goodies, that will have to be done at a later time when I can set up to do photos or scans of posters. I still have a lot of video store handouts if anyone is interested in those.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

The NewTypes can be done but they are a lot of work. Sometimes you have to scan the covers multiple times to get them right. It'll have to do until I can get a better scanner.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Epson and HP Wide scannners can do what I want but they start at $150. The Epson V600 for photos and slides is also what I want for other material. That's another $250. Cheap compared to the V700 at $700. Some hobby, eh?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

blacotaku1 wrote:Check it out. I am pretty sure the folks here in this forum would really like it. I also had a couple of articles translated.
I signed up for a Tumblr account about a month or so ago, but I am now finally getting the hang of using it. I really like your page!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

Reviving this thread with more scans from my NT inserts, including:
1) a look back at 1991 and 1996 in anime movies. I remember the hype around Tenchi and other movies getting on the big screen for US cons.
2) the 1995 Animationary, with 98 pages of analog info about releases and where to find stuff.
3) a spread from an insert dedicated to designer Keiji Gotoh; a rarity compared to material dedicated to Nagano or EVA. He drew these "day in the life" strips and spot illos of girls for the magazine.
Attachments
gotoh_97.jpg
gotoh_97.jpg (334.17 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
animationary95.jpg
animationary95.jpg (205.64 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
posteryear_96.jpg
posteryear_96.jpg (207.75 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
posteryear_91.jpg
posteryear_91.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 2860 times