Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

Post by usamimi »

Oh man, I used to have a NT poster of that black Cowboy Bebop image...it got damaged baldly, tho, had to throw it away years ago. :(

Thanks for these scans!!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

Some Macross 7 art from one of the NT calendars and "poster art" booklets. You know a show is old when the main voice actress is retiring. I'm not really a fan of this slice of protoculture; it could have been titled FIRE BOMBER: THE SUPER DIMENSION BAND. Newtype and other mags gave it good coverage for the season.
Attachments
M7_95calendar.jpg
M7_95calendar.jpg (176.23 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
M7_posterart.jpg
M7_posterart.jpg (189.99 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I really like both of those, especially that calendar picture! I also can't say I am that surprised that there was a ton of Mac7 coverage in NewType and the like at the time, even if it's probably the most divisive part of the franchise.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

The M7 image was from the 1995 calendar, which just happens to have the same day numbering as 2017.
Wouldn't we all like to get on the otakuland train and go back to that year ;)
I scanned the last illustrated spread of the 1994 calendar, which previews the first 6 months of '95.
Attachments
1995NaganoFSS.jpg
1995NaganoFSS.jpg (300.7 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Oooh very cool!! Thanks for sharing! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Heh, that calender just reminded me of how the neverending, ubiquitous Five Star Stories never got a TV anime adaptation. I know of the movie, of course, but there's gotta be hundreds of episodes worth of material here.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I do own that thin pack dvd that ADV put out that was crammed full of liner notes on it a few years ago. We did get some of the manga in the states, but theres so much of it that it can be adapted to a TV series if it wanted too. shoot, i have I think the 3rd and 4th tankoban volumes from Animazement a few years back, the art work is really cool too look at.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

If fans would accept CG for the Mortar Heads and other space tech, I think a carefully edited FIVE STAR TV anime could be made today. Personally, I'd like a break from the tyranny of GUNDAM. However, the studio attempting this would need big bucks for a top-class character designer and a huge cast of voice talent. Nobuteru Yuki did a great job on the OVA, but he's busy with the other classic, YAMATO.

Here is a montage of the NT FSS covers (up to 1992)!
Attachments
5starcovers.jpg
5starcovers.jpg (211.05 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

labsenpai wrote:If fans would accept CG for the Mortar Heads and other space tech, I think a carefully edited FIVE STAR TV anime could be made today. Personally, I'd like a break from the tyranny of GUNDAM. However, the studio attempting this would need big bucks for a top-class character designer and a huge cast of voice talent. Nobuteru Yuki did a great job on the OVA, but he's busy with the other classic, YAMATO.

Here is a montage of the NT FSS covers (up to 1992)!
My first thought would be that it would be difficult if only due to how nonlinear the story is, and that it takes up tens of thousands of years, and is no where near (ever) finishing... but....
Back in the '90s they had the Arslaan anime, and they are redoing it now, even though (according to the author) it will be 16 or 32 books long, and he has only done 8 of them over the last 30 some years....
And then there is Trinity Blood, the anime that ended on a cliff hanger, based on a series of novels that was never completed as the author died, and when the novels were translated the project was canceled halfway done...
So apparently, things do not need to be anywhere near completed to be adapted... so who knows.