The Days of Anime Hasshin

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

The Days of Anime Hasshin

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

Hi, Any members of Anime Hasshin out there? What ever happend to Lorraine Savage?
Attachments
Rose-2a.jpg
Rose-2a.jpg (135.98 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: The Days of Anime Hasshin

Post by davemerrill »

Lorraine is alive and well and living in Manchester New Hampshire, last I heard. Every so often we're in the area and we look her up.
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

That' so good to know, is Lorraine on-line at all? It felt great getting "the Rose" in the post, and it still reads very well today!
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

I know at least two illustrations of mine ended up in those pages :)
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Which ones? 8-)
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

*digs out surviving issues*

The back cover of issue 41, a Jubei Ninpucho illustration, is mine.
Issue 32 shows a BGC hardsuit creation (pg 20) I drew, and a Marionette Generation sketch on pg 38.
I also wrote a short blurb about the GitS manga when it was an import (Issue 33).
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Maybe interesting, Anime Hasshin's 1994 response to the Rutgers Anime Fandom Form:
Name: Anime Hasshin

Address/Phone number:
Anime Hasshin
P.O. Box 391036
Cambridge, MA 02139

Contact person/Coordinator: Lorraine Savage

Coordinator Address/Phone number: same as above

Electronic address of Coordinator/Liason: None

Type of organization: International

Membership requirements:
USA: $14
Canada: $15
Overseas: $20
(Annual)

Number of members: about 350

Publications and newsletter info: The Rose- Quarterly newsletter

Organization tape library or tape trading: Volunteers offer tape trading to paid members

Projects:
A.H. offers synopsis packets: 35-40 pages each of synopses, translations, interviews, reviews, song lyrics, etc/

Meeting times/admission/etc: None

Affiliation: None

Organization History: A.H. began in January 1987 under the name Hasshin RI with 8 people at a comic shop in Rhode Island and a few mail order people in other states. Now Anime Hasshin has about 350 members from 9 countries!
(https://groups.google.com/forum/message ... 3ueIatZb0J)

Jay Fubler Harvey's response is also interesting, as it sort of implies that his club the Akron Animation Association started as a local chapter of Anime Hasshin members:
Organization name: Akron Animation Association

Contact person/Coordinator: Jay Harvey

Affiliation:
No official affiliation, but many officers and members are members of Anime Hasshin.

Organization History:
Tri-A was founded in March of 1992. Tri-A's purpose is to increase awareness of the world of Japanese Animation and try to, slowly but surely, bring it more into the mainstream of America. We provide free information to members about all facets of anime & manga and the fandom they have created. We are also against all anime pirates are attempting to combat piracy whenever it rears it's ugly head. We are always happy to bring new people into this wonderful hobby.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I got in touch with Lorraine Savage recently, and I should have a big Let's Anime all about Anime Hasshin coming up next month!
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

davemerrill wrote:I got in touch with Lorraine Savage recently, and I should have a big Let's Anime all about Anime Hasshin coming up next month!
Neat, I look forward to reading it.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I thought she might have also contributed to Anime Janai but the issues I just thumbed through do not have any material by her. I do have some issues of The Rose, so I was collecting stuff by her at about the same time. Hopefully someone scans this all in to save our history for the future...