Anyone ever used the anipike?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Anyone ever used the anipike?

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:It's the end of an era, folks....Anipike finally went offline: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -shy-of-20

Poor Trixie Turnpike has to find a new job now. :cry:
This really is the end of an era. It's always a somber moment to see something that had such an impact fade away.

Still, it can't take away the countless hours of enjoyment that this site provided in its prime. Cheers to the Anime Web Turnpike--and let's hope Trixie Turnpike lands on her feet! ;)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Thanks to the Wayback machine we can still at least look at the archived site: https://web.archive.org/web/20051231142 ... ipike.com/

But yeah, it's so sad to hear! A friend of mine is friends with the site's current owner and she said he was really sad about it, but that there was just no way he could keep it up any longer because it got barely any traffic anymore. (Understandably, though...I mean, the classic mirror was up purely for nostalgia's sake, and with sites like ANN, it was pretty much obsolete now.)

She said he joked that Trixie was now retired and would stay home to watch K-dramas and write fanfiction, lol. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

There is a part of me that is sad to see it go but I haven't visited in ages (probably back shortly after the design change). Glad that it is still available via the Wayback Machine, still, even just for posterity's sake. Every reason given though, makes sense for why it was shutdown.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Drew_Sutton wrote:There is a part of me that is sad to see it go but I haven't visited in ages (probably back shortly after the design change). Glad that it is still available via the Wayback Machine, still, even just for posterity's sake. Every reason given though, makes sense for why it was shutdown.
Yeah. I mean, the age of the fansite is pretty much over now...so most of the sites that were listed are dead now, anyway (or at least haven't been updated in forever). But at least we can visit the archive for nostalgia's sake!

It's probably for the best it was shut down, anyway. After Anipike changed hands and had the makeover, it just wasn't the same. I think that was most likely when a lot of people stopped using the site, to be honest. :lol: I was surprised to see earlier today that the original owner of Anipike got wind of my Tumblr post about it and even Tweeted it! That was kind of awesome.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*