End of an Era: SUNET - An ancient Venice FTP mirror

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
cosmosamurai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

End of an Era: SUNET - An ancient Venice FTP mirror

Post by cosmosamurai »

I just noticed that http://ftp.sunet.se/ has announced that they plan to decommission their archives, which include the Venice mirror at http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv+movies/anime-manga/ ,with actual removal beginning in September. Archive.org appears to have a perfect backup of the SUNET mirror, so this stuff will still be accessible over the net, but the fact that SUNET is still serving up these "Dead Sea Scrolls" of online anime fandom in 2014 (and has been since 1997 according to archive.org) is pretty amazing. These survivors from the old days of ftp are a rare and dying breed indeed.

Browsing through this stuff is endlessly interesting "digital archaeology" and archive.org has once more delivered the goods in preserving the SUNET mirror in addition to the wealth of other anime history they have on their servers.
labsenpai

Re: End of an Era: SUNET - An ancient Venice FTP mirror

Post by labsenpai »

Yet another Venice related archive I didn't know about; I can't help smiling when I see anime artifacts I once held in my hands.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh wow. I've never even seen this FTP site, but already I am saddened to see it closing down. I remember those .fli animated files of Akane dancing, the Dirty Pair's Lovely Angel ship spinning, and the boob bouncing Misty May from Otaku no Video! Will those still work in the command prompt, I wonder? I ought to snag those.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
cosmosamurai

Post by cosmosamurai »

SUNET lives! A mirror of this truly ancient repository of anime history just came online, as the original shut down recently: http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/archive/ft ... ime-manga/

It's really a blast digging through anime images with timestamps like 1988, along with other stuff like textfiles stored there, and it really is nice to have a "live" version of it.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Sweet Jezzuz, those files is about %90 of what is on my old data cds with anime stuff on them (and this is going back to like 2001). That is the kind of content that would come from Anime Turnpike and all of the web 1.0 fansites had for goodies or something. Surprising those old files still work after 20+ years of being on some server on the net.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

cosmosamurai wrote:SUNET lives! A mirror of this truly ancient repository of anime history just came online, as the original shut down recently: http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/archive/ft ... ime-manga/

It's really a blast digging through anime images with timestamps like 1988, along with other stuff like textfiles stored there, and it really is nice to have a "live" version of it.
This is great! Glad to see that this lives on; thanks for sharing!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Great stuff! (^_^)

The Anime Stuff fanzine seems pretty slick for 1995:

mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

Hmmm...
Just checked, Laser Perceptions doesn't seem to exist anymore (I remember starting to worry when he recognized my voice and called me by name... when I called from a pay phone....)
Nikaku Animart has a website... but it says that the catalog is "updated" in 2009..so...

Hmm... Did Margaret Lum/Lum-chan work there for a while? Or was that Kyou.. Hm.
Anyway.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I got ads for Laser Perceptions on my old ANIMAG issues, which I already assumed that by the time I saw those they went the way of the dinosaur years ago.