t-shirt heaven

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: t-shirt heaven

Post by davemerrill »

That art does indeed look Vaunda Perry-ish. the Herlock spelling was used for the 1978 series, particularly on the Roman Album. I wonder if whoever made this shirt just shot a stat of the artwork from a C/FO zine and stats of the typography from that Roman Album.

I can't help but think that the prickly, can't-get-along-with-nobody attitude of the C/FO Magazine under the Blacks' editorship would have torpedoed any professional magazine they'd managed to get off the ground. Also, the landscape of the anime field was changing dramatically right as their editorial regime was ending - I can't see a national magazine selling issues with big features on Acrobunch or the J-9 series, and I can't see the Blacks devoting issues to Iczer-One, Urusei Yatsura, or Zeta Gundam, or using a typeface that didn't come from an IBM Selectric.

It is a shame though. I wish they'd managed to keep doing anime zines, or come back to the field once blogging made anime writing something that didn't require trips to Kinko's.