Computer viewing

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Computer viewing

Post by runesaint »

I am in the process of moving my computer around for a necessary upgrade/repair. While installing software again I thought I would ask what people use to watch their files? What programs do people use, and what formats are their computer based files in?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: Computer viewing

Post by mbanu »

Between VLC and MPlayer I'm usually able to work something out. :)

Format-wise nothing too crazy, although I have noticed that there is a subsection of the remaining fansub world that insists on releasing and sharing rare shows in fussy custom formats, like 10-bit mkv files, or the "what's a disk space?" people who mostly deal in terabyte-sized files. (There was one guy who offered up a terabyte-sized subtitle file.)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

mbanu wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:38 pm Between VLC and MPlayer I'm usually able to work something out. :)

Format-wise nothing too crazy, although I have noticed that there is a subsection of the remaining fansub world that insists on releasing and sharing rare shows in fussy custom formats, like 10-bit mkv files, or the "what's a disk space?" people who mostly deal in terabyte-sized files. (There was one guy who offered up a terabyte-sized subtitle file.)
And these big subtitle files does not always work with VLC player. I encountered one with Fafner Exodus, and it kept crashing my computer.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I use Linux on my personal machines and have long gotten the best results (minimal problems) from VLC. The Linux distribution I use determines how easy it is to get all of the media codecs I need (built right into the main software repositories or scour third parties). As far as file formats go, I try to stick to pretty pedestrian formats like MP4, MKV or AVI. Occasionally I might pick up a FLV or OGG. I avoid any complex formats, like 10bit encodes or whatever the flavor of the month is. Let's chalk up one thing that I don't miss from the older days of digital fansubs is having to muck around with multiple players and multiple codec packs in a Russian roulette fashion just to watch a damn cartoon.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.