Hiroyuki Yamaga

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Hiroyuki Yamaga

Post by mbanu »

Apparently he did an interview for a public access show once... (^_^;) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxYkeJzPvcI Not sure if there was something else going on, or if he's just that kind of guy.

I really liked Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, and while the story isn't my cup of tea, Royal Space Force has beautiful animation; I feel kinda bad that what's left of GAINAX is struggling. There was a bunch of negative buzz when the anime news folks found out that GAINAX is back to being run out of a shitty apartment: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... do/.109558
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Hiroyuki Yamaga

Post by llj »

So I guess Blue Uru is (again) not gonna happen.

I really liked Gainax when they felt like an eternally budget-strapped amateur studio run by really talented animators. At some point after Karekano they became just another anime studio, as many of their best talent went off and created their own anime studios. I think in the glory days of Gainax, they always had a rough, unfinished quality to their work that nevertheless came off as charming and distinct. They sort of lost that identity when they went digital like every other anime studio.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Hiroyuki Yamaga

Post by Akage »

I met Hiroyuki Yamaga. He's a regular at Fanime, and is probably the one Japanese guest they can usually count on to attend (seeing how the con has become more about music and less about anime). I felt he was very immature and had 0 business sense. Fun person to get drunk and party with, but not a good person to be involved in running any sort of business. That's just my general impression of him.

I have to hand it to Gainax though - They really went all out to raise money for the tsunami relief in 2011. This was before Hiroyuki Imaishi left with Gainax's top animators to form Studio Trigger, so there were quite a few original sketches drawn by Imaishi, Sadamoto, etc. Between that and the special Mamoru Yokota auction (he brought artwork from several artists he knew...we later heard that the bulk of the funds raised were personally embezzled by Yokota), it was great. It's the only time I've had to sign documentation saying that, if I display it publicly or online, the autograph portion has to stay hidden. I also had to provide my full name, address and driver's license upon purchase as well. I heard from Fanime staff that they tried to include documentation stating that the artwork could not be resold, but Fanime staff told them that that could not be legally done.

I honestly have not been too impressed by Studio Trigger. I know Sushio is popular thanks to Kill la Kill, but I've seen him draw and his artwork is very rough. I get that he's creative, but his execution is sloppy.

I'll have to dig around to see if I can't find my pics of Yamaga.