TechnoGirls: A Fansub Survivor

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
cosmosamurai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

TechnoGirls: A Fansub Survivor

Post by cosmosamurai »

The TechnoGirls fansub group goes way back, and their 90's era (with rare updates) site is a time capsule of archetypal fansub persona: http://www.technogirls.org/barbara/anime/tapelist.htm Glory in the minutiae of master quality and production arcana, along with real passion for the shoujo classic Oniisama e. What greatly amuses me is the way Barbara and company soldiered on with their (ongoing since the 90s) fansub of Brother Dear Brother even after it had been commercially released by the now defunct Anime Sols. I can't put into words how bizarrely great it is to ponder this singularly heroic, quixotic mission which reared to life for reasons deep and mysterious.

It seems that their DVD-R fansub distro is down, but I believe the final volume was finished so someone out there may have a copy of this interesting footnote to the oldschool fansub era. The reactions to the reanimated Technogirls on the classic anime community twitters etc. were interesting reading. I remember downloading a copy of the old Technogirls Oniisama e, before the later DVD sourced fansub based on their scripts, which had tons of VHS artifacts, buzzing, and fuzziness, with cool details like episode "sponsors" such as the "Galaxy Express 999 BBS".

The completion of Brother Dear Brother is just odd...a living fossil. They should have fired up the old production rig and duped some VHS from a S-VHS master, for old times sake so some geezer out their could...finally...put that last Technogirls BDB tape on the shelf.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: TechnoGirls: A Fansub Survivor

Post by davemerrill »

at the time they were fansubbing Dear Brother, I had no idea how great it was. Caught it all via Anime Sols and let me tell ya, that show is terrific. God bless those TechnoGirls and their sacrifices.