Anime laserdisc collecting?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Anime laserdisc collecting?

Post by mbanu »

Relevant sub-forum, maybe: http://forum.lddb.com/viewforum.php?f=42

I know that there are a few works out there where the laserdisc is still the highest-quality copy available, or that have dubs or other extras that weren't brought forward to the DVD release... seems like a fun hobby. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Anime laserdisc collecting?

Post by DKop »

FINALLY A THREAD TO CATER TO MY NEED TO TALK ABOUT MY ODD, DUMB, SIDE HOBBY ALONG WITH OTHER SIDE HOBBIES IM OBSESSED WITH!! :D :lol:

So, the only reason I got into Laserdisc Collecting (Warning: long as hell story coming up) was the fact that I bought 3 disks from a hobby place that is now a dumb comic book shop in Cary, North Carolina that was called "Stuff n Such" or somewhere along those lines. My first 3 include the dub of Here is Greenwood (which peaked my interest since I live in a town with the same name in South Carolina) and vol 2 and 3 of Vampire Hunter (aka the Darkstalkers OVA). I would not be able to watch these discs since it wasn't until over a year or so later that I got a Pioneer Laseractive from a pawn shop near Camp Lejeune North Carolina in the spring of 2012. The thing with the laser active was that somehow Pioneer made a laserdisc player that was capable to play Sega Genesis/Sega CD and TurboGrafix 16 games depending on the cartridge pack that allowed you to play whatever console (I got the Genesis, which means if I really wanted the Turbo Grafix, id be spending around 500 or so on ebay since they are that prized and collectible to get now days).

So since I got started with my anime and my player, why stop there? This has lead me to getting laserdiscs off ebay, in record stores, video stores, bookstores, any place that these discs will wind up down the road. I even was able to get Toru Furuya to sign my Gundam movie 3 laserdisc at Animazement 2014, which Toshifumi Yoshida was cool enough to help me out with that. So probably after this post I'll post up a pic of just the anime laserdiscs I have so far. I know vinyl records are the cool hipster thing to do now, but screw that crap, I'm a video guy.
DKop

Post by DKop »

^^ Hey, can some mod get rid of that, that wasn't the right images.

Ok, trying this again...
Attachments
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG (11.3 MiB) Viewed 3473 times
And hey, we got MOLDIVER!!!
And hey, we got MOLDIVER!!!
DSC_0017.JPG (9.68 MiB) Viewed 3473 times
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

mbanu wrote:Relevant sub-forum, maybe: http://forum.lddb.com/viewforum.php?f=42

I know that there are a few works out there where the laserdisc is still the highest-quality copy available, or that have dubs or other extras that weren't brought forward to the DVD release... seems like a fun hobby. (^_^)
The thread fell a few pages back, but here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

thanks llj, I knew we had a LD thread a while back. This is the pic of my LDs from that thread:
laserdiskss.jpg
laserdiskss.jpg (112.12 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
I have added a few more discs via trade with Daniel, the Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji (Little Prince & The 8-Headed Dragon) disc he spoke of and another LD of the Macross movie and Digital Devil Story, but that's been all the disc acquisitions for the past few years, I think. My Panasonic LD player is still holding out and every once in awhile I haul some discs out and give 'em a watch. Crazy part is how so many of these titles have made it to American DVD release - Rose Of Versailles, Horus Prince Of The Sun, the Galaxy Express films, the Captain Harlock TV series, the Patlabor TV series, Urusei Yatsura, and now SSX.

I will give LDs a going-over if I see 'em in the used bookstores/record stores/etc., I'm always looking for releases of obscure dubs of kids' shows and things like that. But it's not a format I'm going to buy into without giving it some consideration first. Those things are HEAVY, and I've already moved most of them at least once.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

llj wrote:
mbanu wrote:Relevant sub-forum, maybe: http://forum.lddb.com/viewforum.php?f=42

The thread fell a few pages back, but here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23
I hadn''t noticed that one -- thanks! Maybe the mods can merge the two threads?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop

Post by DKop »

Oh... now I remember that thread, durhur :roll: :P
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

DKop wrote:^^ Hey, can some mod get rid of that, that wasn't the right images. Ok, trying this again...
Nice collection! I've been wanting to track down those Moldiver LDs. I recently picked up a still sealed copy of Vampire Hunter D on laserdisc (Streamline dub) and the first two episodes of You're Under Arrest. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, my Sony MDP-455 just died on me again...after having it repaired. Tracking down a decent--but fairly inexpensive--LD player is no easy task, especially since I'd prefer one capable of running an optical cable.

Eventually I'll just bite the bullet and likely order one of the more expensive models. I have too many LDs not to.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Im just glad my Pioneer Laseractive is doing good. I don't use it a whole lot, but its there to watch stuff when I do. I notice my audio is starting to act up, but it has an audio jack in the front that I can hook up to speakers and watch my stuff that way, so its all good.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

DKop wrote:Im just glad my Pioneer Laseractive is doing good. I don't use it a whole lot, but its there to watch stuff when I do. I notice my audio is starting to act up, but it has an audio jack in the front that I can hook up to speakers and watch my stuff that way, so its all good.
I ordered a Pioneer CLD-V2800 player through eBay as a replacement for my Sony. It didn't have the optical output, but it was cheap enough--plus I've heard good things about Pioneer LD players. Sadly, the player arrived and, despite being pretty well packed, ended up being defective. The disc tray wouldn't open, and when it finally did, out came some pieces of plastic accompanied by a strange "whirrling" sound. Likely happened during shipping.

A friend's moving out of the state and trying to sell off everything, including his Pioneer DVL-919 DVD/Laserdisc combo player. I might consider just buying that one from him.