Anime laserdisc collecting?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Anime laserdisc collecting?

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Char Aznable wrote:
DKop wrote:^^ Hey, can some mod get rid of that, that wasn't the right images. Ok, trying this again...
Nice collection! I've been wanting to track down those Moldiver LDs. I recently picked up a still sealed copy of Vampire Hunter D on laserdisc (Streamline dub) and the first two episodes of You're Under Arrest. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, my Sony MDP-455 just died on me again...after having it repaired. Tracking down a decent--but fairly inexpensive--LD player is no easy task, especially since I'd prefer one capable of running an optical cable.

Eventually I'll just bite the bullet and likely order one of the more expensive models. I have too many LDs not to.
I don't know if you have a Craigslist for your area but that was where I found my LD player. It was comparatively cheap, although the seller was insistent on me taking whatever I wanted of his LD collection, too (in a way, makes sense and we fortunately had some similar film interests). Even still, all told it was like $160 bucks, a couple hours of my Saturday morning and a drive across town. Funny story is that I stopped by my first MomoCon on my way home, so I've technically checked that old-school fan box of bringing a VCR/LD player to a convention :lol:

I have one of those old Moldiver LDs, I'd certainly be up for a trade. IIRC, I got mine as part of a lot from a friend, who in turn got a bunch from an estate sale or some other gift so it's not something I actively sought out. Here's my post from the other thread with my collection; I don't think it's grown since then, only because these things are a pain to move, but now that we're situated for a while, I might start looking again.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23&start=40#p8684
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

This one's a little crazy, what looks like a laserdisc devoted to a six-and-a-half minute short. (^_^) I'm sure it's the pride and joy of somebody's collection, though.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Mbanu, I don't know if you've ever seen "Jumping", but it's a tremendously great film, a real work of art, and well worth owning on LD or just about any format you can think of. It definitely would be the pride of my collection if I owned it, which I do not. If I ever see it for sale I'm grabbin' it, though.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

The one thing I liked about Jumping (that I remember seeing from an Anime Hell, I am sure), is that even though it's Tezuka and Anime, stylistically, it feels a lot different. Almost reminded me of a short that was based on illustrations from a Shel Silverstein book.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.