Trailer up for IG's LOTGH

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Trailer up for IG's LOTGH

Post by karageko »

https://youtu.be/lXEm5aaWHgI (raw)

Not really keen on the character designs or voice acting, as they seem kinda bland. I still have the same trepidation as when I first heard the news of the project, which is to say "is this just going to retread the same ground as the original OVAs, and if so why?" The beginning narration does not help dispel this trepidation.
遥か遠い未来
広大な宇宙へと進出した人類の歴史から戦争の二文字はいまだ消えていなかった
銀河帝国と自由惑星同盟、その長きに渡る戦乱は永遠に続くとさえ(?)思われた
この二人が現れるまでは

In the far future,
war has still not vanished in the history of humankind's progression into the vast, outer space.
It was thought that the war between the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance would continue forever.
That is, until these two appeared.

*proceeds with introduction of Reinhart and Yang*
Well of course I'm going to end up watching it anyway because it's LOTGH.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Re: Trailer up for IG's LOTGH

Post by Guyver I »

Thank you for posting this!

I'd have to agree with your assessment, particularly regarding the character designs. The great thing about the original series was the multitude of characters; a rough part about the original series....was the multitude of characters, many with similar names to one another. And it was really the unique character designs for each individual that helped in distinguishing one from the other. The original designs had unique facial structures that helped define the characters and their personalities, the differences between Siegfried and Reinhard's faces. These designs look like essential the same generic face, across the board, with different hair styles placed atop to denote a different character.

Of course, I'll still check it out when it becomes available for viewing, and give it the benefit of the doubt, but I can say, still, I'm more excited for the official, domestic release (finally) of the original series, than I am for this version, as well as for the continuation of the book series.
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

The joke going around is that we'll see this released on BD here before the original does. Sentai sure is taking their time. Hopefully this means a good product and QC with none of Sentai's usual annoying glitches.
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

To repeat... yes, it looks like the same but... I have no problem with more. I have gotten the translated novels as available, I still have copies of the subs from when they were available, I still have the Taiwan dvd's... a few cells..
Yeah, I will see this as soon as I can as well.
Now, if only I could get my wife or daughter to watch so that I could have a reason to watch it myself ^_^
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:The joke going around is that we'll see this released on BD here before the original does. Sentai sure is taking their time. Hopefully this means a good product and QC with none of Sentai's usual annoying glitches.
I hope so too. So far I haven't heard any complaints about their subs on their version streaming on Hidive, so that's a good sign!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kyrant
Anime Fan Since: 2003-ish

Post by Kyrant »

Been a while since any posts here, but a bit more material has been updated, including character designs.

http://gineiden-anime.com/character.html

Uh... presented without comment. Julian, Reuenthal, and Oberstein are especially without comment.
karageko

Post by karageko »

Bleh Reinhard and Kircheis look just a little too samefacey for me. As for the other character designs, eh.

Normally I'm pretty good about just not watching things I don't expect to be good (I'm not into the hatewatching thing). Not sure in this case, since it IS still LOGTH. Well, I hope it turns out well even if I'm not into these character designs.
TwitterBlog
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

I realize I'm seriously late to the party here. Looks like I'd dislike this for the same reasons I disliked Yamato 2199 (but trudged through and finished). Anyone else hate modern character designs?
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

gaijinpunch wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 am I realize I'm seriously late to the party here. Looks like I'd dislike this for the same reasons I disliked Yamato 2199 (but trudged through and finished). Anyone else hate modern character designs?
I do not like them much but... who am I kidding. It is Galactic Heroes. I will acquire it somehow.
karageko

Post by karageko »

Sounds like everyone here is in agreement more or less on not being into the character designs.

So far I do think the action sequences have been quite fantastic, so I was pleasantly surprised given that they are done in 3DCG (you know, given anime's track record with that stuff).
TwitterBlog