HIDIVE to stream Space Runaway Ideon!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

HIDIVE to stream Space Runaway Ideon!

Post by usamimi »

https://www.hidive.com/news#cbp=/news/2 ... -on-hidive

Dang, Hidive is getting some good stuff! First Legend of the Galactic Heroes, then Xabungle, now Ideon! Now if only we could get them to release them on DVD or BD...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: HIDIVE to stream Space Runaway Ideon!

Post by SteveH »

usamimi wrote:https://www.hidive.com/news#cbp=/news/2 ... -on-hidive

Dang, Hidive is getting some good stuff! First Legend of the Galactic Heroes, then Xabungle, now Ideon! Now if only we could get them to release them on DVD or BD...
Seconded, of course. :)

While 'Xabungle Graffiti' is just fluff that only matters to a completest, Ideon NEEDS its two movies for understanding and closure. Pity all we ever hear is static on these questions.

Xabungle, Ideon, Urashiman... the list of 'They'll NEVER bring this to America' anime is shrinking nicely. Just need nice affordable physical media releases to be perfect.

OK, Discotek, now is a great time to announce you've picked up 1000 Year Queen TV. Complete with crossover Fuji TV ads for Dr. Slump. Go ahead. Blow my mind again. :)
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Heh, you guys are more optimistic than me. The first thing I thought when I saw this news was, "So we're never going to get Ideon even on DVD, are we?"
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

llj wrote:Heh, you guys are more optimistic than me. The first thing I thought when I saw this news was, "So we're never going to get Ideon even on DVD, are we?"
Oh, I'm far from optimistic on this issue. The industry thinks streaming is the new money train because hey, we don't have to actually MAKE anything, ya know?

But what they don't see is that if consumers really embrace streaming over all else, it will kill them. Because content won't be something you can tell people about, you can't say "hey you really need to pick this up it's awesome!" because guess what? It's gone. Only via pirate sites will people be able to 'catch up' on something. Watch it now or watch it never.

Because streaming is the bastardization of 'video on demand', the key problem of VOD being storing and accessing deep catalog content. NOBODY wants to spend money on increasing infrastructure even in our current age of shockingly cheap digital storage so old content MUST be purged, plus short licenses are cheaper than long term. Watch it today or watch it never.

So the companies will increasingly be driven to try to buy the NEW!! HOT!! anime from Japan and that content will be more and more and more 'narrowcast' Otaku bait which will tighten the circle more and more until another Big Bust happens, a show someone was betting the whole house on fails horribly and puts them out of business and boom we're back to the '80s again, caging downloads from shady Japanese fans via pirate sites.

Um. That's my way of saying I don't expect a physical media release for Ideon. sorry. got swayed by the subject.... :)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I'm definitely not holding my breath, considering they've had Urashiman streaming for several years now and no hint of a physical release in sight. -__- It'd be nice, but at least there's a way of seeing it legally without having to hunt down and download fansubs. It's not perfect, but it's something...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*