Mazinger Z Infinity

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Mazinger Z Infinity

Post by karageko »

I forgot this was happening until after yesterday's screening had already happened. So I checked and there were still open seats for the theater near (not surprising, although what was surprising is that the theater wasn't MORE empty).

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who checked it out. What did anyone else who went think?

I had no idea this was something set after the events of the original series until the interview with the character designer came on. My direct experience with anything to do with Mazinger is basically only having watched the first 5 episodes of the 70s Mazinger Z TV series about a decade ago. Maybe not the best idea but it was easy enough to infer the relationships between characters I didn't know.

All I have to say was that was some goddamn excellent breast fire. Drunken missiles tooI got exactly what I expected and wanted.

Man, I should probably get back to actually watching through more of the Mazinger catalogue...
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Mazinger Z Infinity

Post by DKop »

I watched it tonight with a buddy from my Gunpla group. The theater was kinda slacking in the quality since when we got there the subs were hanging off the end of the screen since the resolution was messed up. Once I told someone about it they paused the first minute of the movie, realized they couldn't adjust the ratio without restarting the movie, so then the whole movie restarted with the interviews and all. For me it worked out since I got to see what people were saying, but for the 6 other people who got there early, they had to sit through that all over again :lol:

With me knowing hardly nothing about Mazinger Z and seeing very little of it, its a pretty good movie to watch that you don't have to know a ton of Mazinger material to see before hand. I think im more connected to the villains because I watched Go Nagai world back around Halloween (did a podcast ep about it too) so I knew Broken, Ashura and Dr. Hell since they were the comedic antagonists in that OVA. The movie I thought introduced people to how important they were and that helped, and I knew the original cast so the familiar faces made me connect to the film more. What I really want from this film is freaking model kits or a robot spirits line of Aphrodite A mechs by the Mazigirls, best part of that movie for me (ok its not only one, but its the one I can remember pretty easily). ;)

It's a fun film like the Dragonball Z movies that came out, and pretty tame for Go Nagai material. With this and Devilman Crybaby, Nagai hitting it pretty big for 2018 with these two projects. Gotta wonder when a Violence Jack revival is afoot.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I missed it and it's been torture because Facebook and Twitter have been filled with people posting photos of the marquees and the posters and the slide shows. The nearest screening was in Buffalo, one on Sunday and one on Monday, and while the weather on Sunday wasn't as lousy as the news said it was going to be, it was still sleety and snowy and cold, and that's not a good prescription for driving two hours there and two hours back.

I'm hoping it shows up in Toronto and I can catch it without having to cross an international border. From what I understand it looks like a lot of fun for pretty much everybody.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I wasn't able to see it either, since both me & Nitro have been trying to shake off these off-and-on colds. In our area, it was showing at a theater that was kind of out of the way, so with us both already feeling tired (not to mention having other things we were working on, anyway) we had to skip it. I've heard mostly good things, though, so I wouldn't mind checking it out if/when it comes out digitally or physically.

Next "new" Go Nagai thing is a new Cutie Honey TV anime coming soon, so at least I have that to look forward to!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*