New City Hunter Movie announced for 2019!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

New City Hunter Movie announced for 2019!

Post by usamimi »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 19/.129190

And with the original seiyuu and director, no less! That took me by surprise a little bit, but I guess since Akira Kamiya is still alive and kicking why NOT have him come back, eh?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: New City Hunter Movie announced for 2019!

Post by DKop »

Darn, and here I was thinking there was going to be a sequel to the Jackie Chan live action movie. :(

I still need to see the rest of the series, and watch the OVA/movies I own, at some point in the future.
Onei-03
Anime Fan Since: 2008

Post by Onei-03 »

That's cool there's a new movie being made. I've been curious about Hojo's works for awhile now, only increasing once I learned about a thing he's a part of as a judge: SMAC. The website did an interview with him here: http://www.manga-audition.com/music_to_ ... kasa_hojo/

I wonder if they'll do any anime adaptions of his recent manga, Angel Heart.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Can we get an anime adaptation of the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie. That's what I really want... :D
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

DKop wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am Can we get an anime adaptation of the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie. That's what I really want... :D
That would certainly be interesting. I think the "Street Fighter" scene is the part that has aged the most (off the top of my head).
DKop

Post by DKop »

runesaint wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:49 pm
DKop wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am Can we get an anime adaptation of the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie. That's what I really want... :D
That would certainly be interesting. I think the "Street Fighter" scene is the part that has aged the most (off the top of my head).
It's aged like fine wine good sir, I savor that scene when I see it!
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

For someone that's going back to a lot of the series they missed in the 80's, is City Hunter one I should just start w/ the TV episodes and work up to the films? I did Cobra in chronological order. Watched the amazing by any standards film, then the TV which I'm close to done with. I suppose I'll do the the 2008-ish OVAs but am less enamored with them due to polish... really dig the grit of the early 80's right now.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Back when City Hunter was getting North American DVD releases it seemed like anime fandom was widely divergent in its opinion- I recall people loving the show, and people hating the show. Myself, I can take it or leave it. It's fine in small doses, after a while the comedy gets stale and the silliness of the cartoony A-Team style gunplay makes it tough to take the serious parts seriously.

I think there are single episodes up on YouTube, you can dive in and watch a few at random and see how you like it. The show doesn't really have an overarching continuous narrative, so you can start pretty much anywhere.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 am Back when City Hunter was getting North American DVD releases it seemed like anime fandom was widely divergent in its opinion- I recall people loving the show, and people hating the show. Myself, I can take it or leave it. It's fine in small doses, after a while the comedy gets stale and the silliness of the cartoony A-Team style gunplay makes it tough to take the serious parts seriously.

I think there are single episodes up on YouTube, you can dive in and watch a few at random and see how you like it. The show doesn't really have an overarching continuous narrative, so you can start pretty much anywhere.
Yeah, to me it's best in small doses, too. And it's definitely episodic for the most part--you can watch the first few eps and then drop in almost anywhere after you know who the main characters are, as far as I remember. It's got some great music and beautiful animation for the time in the openings, movies, specials, and occasionally in the TV show, but there's a lot of comedy in it that probably hasn't aged well (ie Ryo is a total womanizer, Kaori is often portrayed as a "neurotically jealous" woman, etc). I enjoyed it back in the day, but I haven't revisited it yet because I know it'll probably be a bit painful. :lol: It still holds a special place in my heart, but it's definitely one I'd be hesitant to recommend to just anyone, lol.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Some of these shows that were a bit over the top I didn't get into. I have no idea why I didn't get into Cobra, but part of me is glad I didn't. It's still episode an somewhat simple, but TBH for early 80's the quality is pretty amazing, and it's got all kinds of stuff that anything coming out of Japan is devoid of: edginess, grit, a masculine hero, chicks in space in bikinis. What is not to like?

From what little I've seen of City Hunter it seems to also border on pure testosterone based humor.

I know hand-drawn doesn't a good show make, but in most anything today (definitely the very little anime I am exposed to, but also a lot of shows on Netflix) I find the advanced technology (computers as well as cameras and digital shooting) has made a lot of film makers lazy. It's easier for me to appreciate the simpler stuff, that had more sweat put into it.