Sentai licenses Dunbine

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Sentai licenses Dunbine

Post by davemerrill »

it's a sad day for DVD scalpers as Dunbine is coming back into print and those rare last two ADV DVDs will suddenly no longer be all that valuable.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... me/.130242

also: the series is coming to HiDive with both subtitles and the ADV dub, from what I understand. Can Garzey's Wing be far behind?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Sentai licenses Dunbine

Post by DKop »

I got a good chunk of the ADV dvds but I dont have the latter ones since there so darn hard to find. This gives me a good reason to own/watch this series now.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

gobsmacked. Yep. I mean, glad they are doing it, the wonder is why it took so long.

I wonder if they'll remaster the discs back to the original 5 episodes per DVD to drop that set count to 10 discs. I mean, if they are actually getting access to new masters, that's a no-brainer, right?

Hahahaha I wonder if 'English ADR by Carl Macek!!' will be a pull-quote selling point this time around.

Eh, if I could I'd double dip. Unless they go insane on the price. $50 USD MSRP would be in the comfort zone, $200 would NOT.

It would be a pure hoot if Sentai decided to do a quick run of volumes 10-12 of the original issue and flood the market with them, but I suspect they're hoping that all of us with incomplete collections will just throw money at Sentai because, well, because.

Say, whatever happened to that Tatsunoko license? Did Sentai ever put out physical media for anything other than Gatchaman II and F (Fighter)? I would have loved me some Urashiman or Gold Lightan.

Hm. Forgot the $300 Speed Racer head. Man I'd love to find that at Big Lots for like $10. LOL!

(note to the humor impaired. The $300 Speed Racer head is NOT at Big Lots for $10. This is called a joke.)
DKop

Post by DKop »

SteveH wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am gobsmacked. Yep. I mean, glad they are doing it, the wonder is why it took so long.

I wonder if they'll remaster the discs back to the original 5 episodes per DVD to drop that set count to 10 discs. I mean, if they are actually getting access to new masters, that's a no-brainer, right?

Hahahaha I wonder if 'English ADR by Carl Macek!!' will be a pull-quote selling point this time around.

Eh, if I could I'd double dip. Unless they go insane on the price. $50 USD MSRP would be in the comfort zone, $200 would NOT.

It would be a pure hoot if Sentai decided to do a quick run of volumes 10-12 of the original issue and flood the market with them, but I suspect they're hoping that all of us with incomplete collections will just throw money at Sentai because, well, because.

Say, whatever happened to that Tatsunoko license? Did Sentai ever put out physical media for anything other than Gatchaman II and F (Fighter)? I would have loved me some Urashiman or Gold Lightan.

Hm. Forgot the $300 Speed Racer head. Man I'd love to find that at Big Lots for like $10. LOL!

(note to the humor impaired. The $300 Speed Racer head is NOT at Big Lots for $10. This is called a joke.)
The thing with your joke Steve is that it's almost too real for it to happen. I wouldn't put it past Big Lots to carry the Speed Racer head for 15 or so bucks, because some stores just randomly get anime in from time to time, some crap, some good crap.

I would rather them flood the market with the last discs so I could complete what ive been building for the past 10 years. But having an SD HD bluray set for 50 would be worth it for me. I need past vol 7 on mine to complete it. And it better have that Carl Macek approved in the subs.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school when I say Neil N. translated a lot of Tatsunoko stuff for Sentai, and a lot of what he did hasn't appeared in any release yet. And dang it, the suspense is killing me!
DKop

Post by DKop »

The only translation I do want to see that he's done is SPT Layzner, that supposedly didn't get released that he did for Bandai almost 20 years ago. I'd jump on that pretty quick when it comes out, not really a matter of if.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:22 pm I don't think I'm telling tales out of school when I say Neil N. translated a lot of Tatsunoko stuff for Sentai, and a lot of what he did hasn't appeared in any release yet. And dang it, the suspense is killing me!
Yeah didn't Funi get the rights to those quite some time ago?! I keep wondering when we're actually gonna see some of it. Also, I'd love it if they could release basic sets of all the stuff that was in that dang Speed Racer Head. I don't want a giant Speed staring at me from my DVD shelf, thank you very much :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

SteveH wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am gobsmacked. Yep. I mean, glad they are doing it, the wonder is why it took so long.

Speaking of wacky releases, Sentai announced that their LOTGH release would be something like $800...

So who knows what Dunbine will go for. I've noticed a lot of these retro brick releases lately have been getting higher and higher in price.
DKop

Post by DKop »

llj wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:13 am

Speaking of wacky releases, Sentai announced that their LOTGH release would be something like $800...

So who knows what Dunbine will go for. I've noticed a lot of these retro brick releases lately have been getting higher and higher in price.
I don't get how it could get that expensive. I could see the whole series going for $60 on avg, which isn't a bad price for a 49 ep series on bluray. LOGH seems like it has all these goodies to add up to $800, so people who really want LOGH will pay for that amount, which covers over 100 plus episodes, movies, etc. I think maybe Sentai will put out the series for about 100 after the special collecters edition (aka the edition EVERYONE could afford). It feels like that Zeta collection from Bandai back in 2004 all over again.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Speed Racer was only 52 episodes and as mentioned, was being released for $200 from Funimation.

My insinuation is that these retro shows are becoming niche releases with lower print runs now, and as such these companies are starting to raise prices for physical releases.

I can see a Dunbine blu brick going for over $100.