The Chocolate Panic Picture Show?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

The Chocolate Panic Picture Show?

Post by mbanu »

Does anyone know the story behind how this got made?

Supposedly it was the first thing GAINAX worked on, although I don't think they were the producing studio. It seems to be an advertisement for a music album based off of a manga? Really surreal, possibly racist, a real puzzler. The vocalists for the band seem to speak English at a native-speaker level, which makes this even stranger. Vaguely "The Gods Must Be Crazy" vibe.

Anybody have any info?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
zimmerit
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Re: The Chocolate Panic Picture Show?

Post by zimmerit »

I'm really curious as to where the notion of Gainax's involvement in this comes from, as it's all over English-language sites like ANN and MAL, but I can't find corroboration of it in Japanese sources. It's also not mentioned on the Japanese Gainax Wikipedia page nor in Takeda's Notenki Memoirs, which is pretty exhaustive in covering that period of Daicon/Gainax history.

I took a quick glance at the OVA's credits on YouTube and didn't see Gainax's name, but I could have missed something. I'd say that if Gainax was involved in this, it was probably as very minor sub-contractor. Though I'm honestly not sure why they would be. They did a lot of sub-contracting after Royal Space Force, but Gainax as a company was incorporated explicitly for the production of that movie in December 1984. Chocolate Panic was released in September 1985 and Royal Space Force later in 1987. It doesn't quite add up.

It's really easy for misattributed credits to take hold in English-language sources and not go away, even if they're painfully obvious. The English language Wikipedia page for Madox-01 lists Hideaki Anno as the OVA's producer, for example.
Sean // zimmerit.moe
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

There's a lot of animation going on during the credits, so it can be easy to miss:
zimmerit

Post by zimmerit »

Whoops, well, there you go.
Sean // zimmerit.moe
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

It is odd that it wasn't mentioned in the Notenki Memoirs; maybe Takeda wasn't involved? A real puzzler...
zimmerit

Post by zimmerit »

mbanu wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:15 pm It is odd that it wasn't mentioned in the Notenki Memoirs; maybe Takeda wasn't involved? A real puzzler...
Yeah, I'm as perplexed by that as its absence from the JP Wikipedia page, since that lists the rest of the OVAs they did contract work for. Guess I need to add it to the list of things to revise on my Secret History of Gainax article...
Sean // zimmerit.moe