How do I watch Evangelion?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
TheMidnightSnack
Anime Fan Since: 2016

How do I watch Evangelion?

Post by TheMidnightSnack »

It seems all I do on this forum is ask for advice.

Is there anywhere online I can watch Evangelion? I've searched everywhere, and all I can find is pirate sites and the Funimation dub.
I went to my local library and I found the first 8 episodes on DVD, and the anime is promising so far.

If I have to buy a box set, so be it. I'd just rather have it it online.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: How do I watch Evangelion?

Post by mbanu »

Interlibrary loan of the DVDs is probably the least painful non-piracy option.

The license is very expensive right now, so no U.S. companies are eyeing it. (This also means the DVDs are selling for more than their original retail price, even adjusted for inflation.)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I remember paying 40 bucks for a used Platinum Tinbox set on eBay right before prices went up on those things. The regular boxset for the platinums are roughly 100 these days. I'm hoping Funi boots for the BluRay license, my money will go to that instantly.

In terms of how to watch it, I'd say TV>End of Eva>Rebuild Movies> Death and Rebirth. The Rebuild movies are kinda a "what if" from the TV series, as in you'll opinion of Shinji will change when you compared to the Rebuild movies to the TV series, well the first two that is :roll: . I felt like once I saw Death and Rebirth, it was just extra stuff to the show for people who wanted it, I could take it or leave it, but since I have that in my collection I should revisit it after so many years. And warning for End of Eva, it will ruin your weekend, so watch it on a Friday night for sure, just a heads up.
TheMidnightSnack
Anime Fan Since: 2016

Post by TheMidnightSnack »

mbanu wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 pm Interlibrary loan of the DVDs is probably the least painful non-piracy option.
Really? Oh well, I guess that's what I'm stuck with.
DKop wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm In terms of how to watch it, I'd say TV>End of Eva>Rebuild Movies> Death and Rebirth.
Thanks for telling me, that's something else I was wondering.
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

Watch the Platinum Collection DVDs if you can. They have additional scenes and some of the shots have been redone and remastered. If you watch the Platinum Collection, you don't have to watch Death & Rebirth, really but it isn't a bad watch and I'd still give it a go.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

As a bonus on that collection, you get to see Tiffany Grant MASSIVE Evangelion Asuka collection. When I met up with her at a con a few years ago, she told me most of her stuff is in storage right now, and the collection was still growing. I doubt she has any reason to stop :lol:
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

mbanu wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 pm Interlibrary loan of the DVDs is probably the least painful non-piracy option.

The license is very expensive right now, so no U.S. companies are eyeing it. (This also means the DVDs are selling for more than their original retail price, even adjusted for inflation.)
Yeah sadly the original DVD release is long out of print. An option that's not finding fansubs is buying the old dvd or vhs singles 1 at a time (and even then, it seems some volumes are more expensive than others now), or getting lucky & finding a complete box set that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

If you have any places around you that sell used dvds, keep your eyes peeled. I once saw an old dvd box set at Half Price Books for $75, which was a steal compared to how much I see them go for on ebay these days.

I also agree that you actually get more out of the Rebuild movies if you've seen the tv series first, especially with what happens in the 3rd film. Doesn't quite have the same impact unless you're familiar with what happened in the tv series.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

One option that is sometimes forgotten about is the Netflix DVD-by-mail rental service. :) It looks like they have End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth available; not sure about the actual series, though. Might be useful if you already have Netflix. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
kuriishi
Anime Fan Since: 1990

Post by kuriishi »

Depending on where you live, your library might be an option to explore as well. ‘course you might just run into what I did and have them missing DVD vol. 2.
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

I gotta agree with Fvlminatvs. If you can, definitely go the Platinum edition route over the Perfect Collection. I have both sets and boy, is the platinum addition a huge difference!