New Discotek announcements: Area 88! Kimagure Orange Road! AND MORE!!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: New Discotek announcements: Area 88! Kimagure Orange Road! AND MORE!!

Post by llj »

KOR TV is okay, but the first movie is a real punch in the gut. And yet, it's one of the best "Art" anime films to come out of the 80s and the potency of the movie to some degree requires a bit of knowledge of the TV series. The OVAs are adequate primers, though, and since the OVAs and movie are apparently in a separate set, one can get the movie without buying the entire TV series.

Area 88 is fantastic, and it's nice to finally get the release of the separate OVAs as well.

Giant Robo is a must have on blu ray (mediablasters DVD release does have its issues) and Voltes V and Godmars and Galaxy Express 999 TV...like I said, this is truly an epic announcement of licenses.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 0845719552

This one almost slipped by but Discotek recently announced Goshogun TV for BD release (in HD, not SD). I'm glad I held off on buying the DVDs because I knew that there had been an HD BD release in Japan. Being completely honest though, I really think it is better to just go into The Time Etranger without any knowledge of the TV series existing in the first place, and then go check out the TV series afterwards (they really are quite different).
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I just saw that today, too! I'm also glad I held out, I'll probably pick it up at some point!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*