New Discotek announcements: Area 88! Kimagure Orange Road! AND MORE!!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

New Discotek announcements: Area 88! Kimagure Orange Road! AND MORE!!

Post by usamimi »

Discotek announced a bunch of new stuff this weekend, including: the original Area 88 on dvd, KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD ON BLURAY (the tv series, the ova, and the 1st movie), GIANT ROBO ON BLURAY, GALAXY EXPRESS 999 THE TV SERIES ON BLURAY, and a bunch of other stuff including Godmars, Voltes V, and even some live action stuff like Space Wolf Juspion! Check out the full list here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... re/.135382
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: New Discotek announcements: Area 88! Kimagure Orange Road! AND MORE!!

Post by DKop »

I feel like I'll pick these titles up from the Discotek booth at upcoming cons, the ones I have my eye on are GE999, Area 88 (to upscale from my VHS copies I got online from Tim Eldred a few years ago) and Voltes V (another tape I got from Tim at the same time, cept its a straight Japanese VHS copy). The other's im gonna wait on, but those titles are up my ally for sure. Juspion is a series ive known about for years, and knew of the intro from Megadriver cover of the song ages ago, so i'd have to check that out eventually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x37bhlm0CO8
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Hoooly crap. This is the biggest retro anime batch announcement I've ever seen at one time. Literally all of these are BIG time shows
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Whaaaa? KOR TV on Blu Ray?

KOR is the one that got away for me. Can't wait to snag that when it comes out!
Akage

Post by Akage »

^ Yeah, I mean, between this and finally getting my KOR manga rewards through the DMP Kickstarter ...eventually...I don't know if I can contain my excitement.

All I need now is an update on Matsumoto's health and I'd be pretty thrilled with things on this end.
Gaff
Anime Fan Since: 199X

Post by Gaff »

Probably just Area 88 for me. Having had KOR hyped up to the nines to me for years, I was a bit underwhelmed when I finally saw some of it. Great music though.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

A new generation will have to pick up their jaw when watching Ginrei specials after serious G-ROBO. :o
You didn't realize those side stories were going to be insane based off the LD ads...

/will still buy BD
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I'm not too hard up on KOR at the moment, not when I've got a handful of the old AnimEigo VHS tapes of the series above my head that i'll get to watching eventually.
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

Post by Valand »

Good news, but shame on those title cards.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Gaff wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm Probably just Area 88 for me. Having had KOR hyped up to the nines to me for years, I was a bit underwhelmed when I finally saw some of it. Great music though.
Same here. I picked up a bunch of KOR VHS tapes years ago and finally watched them last summer, but it just didn't live up to the hype for me.

I'm excited to get Space Wolf Juspion and Area 88 though. Was hoping for a Dominion Tank Police announcement, but I guess that'll have to wait.