The "what is this anime/manga?" thread

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: The "what is this anime/manga?" thread

Post by danth »

I got a new batch for you guys!

Motorbikes!
MotorbikeDude.jpg
MotorbikeDude.jpg (113.26 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
MotorBikeDude2.jpg
MotorBikeDude2.jpg (162.8 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Cute looking sci-fi. But has a young girl. Could be creepy...
GirlWithFlyingRobot.jpg
GirlWithFlyingRobot.jpg (559.23 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
PurpleHairGirlInMech.jpg
PurpleHairGirlInMech.jpg (424.86 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
UFOPurpleHairGirl.jpg
UFOPurpleHairGirl.jpg (470.56 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
This guy just looks cool to me!
HandsomeDude.jpg
HandsomeDude.jpg (755.55 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Is this Sailor Moon?
GirlWithHeadBand.jpg
GirlWithHeadBand.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
And finally a Ramen Ninja!
RamenNinja.jpg
RamenNinja.jpg (125.31 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
What are these?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Top image is from F, an anime about a punk teen getting into Formula 1 racing. That second image my thought went too Bari Bari Legend, but that character is not a Shuichi Shigeno design, so it couldn't be from that.

Here is a Cartoon Network promo for F that I showed in my Anime in High Gear panel last week at AWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJhEjutGRM&t=1s
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

TWIN: VHS KL-2029
85 minutes, troubled motorcycle racer
(entry in an old trader list of mine, never acquired)
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

Space Family Carl Vinson!
I remembered right after digging up that old print-out. Cast of creatures too weird to forget.
/cropped for the challenge? :)
danth

Post by danth »

DKop wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:03 pm Top image is from F, an anime about a punk teen getting into Formula 1 racing.

Here is a Cartoon Network promo for F that I showed in my Anime in High Gear panel last week at AWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJhEjutGRM&t=1s
Hey thanks for the link! I watched it and found another video that had the first 9 minutes of the show. The animation is just amazing. The sort that could only happen in the 80s and hasn't been matched since.
danth

Post by danth »

labsenpai wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:50 pm TWIN: VHS KL-2029
85 minutes, troubled motorcycle racer
(entry in an old trader list of mine, never acquired)
Good call. Something called simply "Twin" is not very easy to Google.

Here's the ANN Page: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... hp?id=7139

And twitter post with more images: https://twitter.com/_animarchive/status ... 4464830465
labsenpai wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:04 pm Space Family Carl Vinson!
I remembered right after digging up that old print-out. Cast of creatures too weird to forget.
/cropped for the challenge? :)
A ha! Thank you.

Mike Toole says a little about it here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mi ... 2013-11-17

At least some of it is subtitled on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LKYSwFwcaM
danth

Post by danth »

Yep, all of Space Family Carlvinson is on Youtube and I watched the first couple parts. It's pretty cute. The robot dad made me chuckle a few times.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Sasuga no Sarutobi is a fun 80s show, it's a little sukebe, but it's an 80s teen manga, so there you go. I have a few episodes here and there. The show climaxes with a giant battle between all the ninja schools and an evil genius in a lion mask, who basically controls all the Toho monsters, and it's up to our heroes to pilot a giant flying battleship and defend the Earth. The show does have this great cutesy 80s style, reminiscent of Urusei Yatsura, Rampoo, Chicken Ganmo, etc. At least one volume of the manga was released by Shogakukan with translated English dialogue, in the same release as their Urusei Yatsura dual-language manga releases.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

The Cool Guy in HandsomeDude.jpg is from the series Oishinbo; a popular family anime based on an even more popular manga about a food writer. According to Wikipedia and ANN, Viz released some of the later manga under the title Oishinbo - A La Carte but the anime hasn't been released in North America. I'm only marginally familiar with it and most of it is by the title.
davemerrill wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm Sasuga no Sarutobi is a fun 80s show, it's a little sukebe, but it's an 80s teen manga, so there you go. I have a few episodes here and there. The show climaxes with a giant battle between all the ninja schools and an evil genius in a lion mask, who basically controls all the Toho monsters, and it's up to our heroes to pilot a giant flying battleship and defend the Earth. The show does have this great cutesy 80s style, reminiscent of Urusei Yatsura, Rampoo, Chicken Ganmo, etc. At least one volume of the manga was released by Shogakukan with translated English dialogue, in the same release as their Urusei Yatsura dual-language manga releases.
I've caught the opening and ending themes in some YouTube playlists, always looked like a cute, fun show. Sounds like it's worth checking out!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.