Anime being dubbed in English by Hong Kong/Taiwanese actors?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Anime being dubbed in English by Hong Kong/Taiwanese actors?

Post by Fireminer »

There are a number of old shows with English dubs being made by actors from Hong Kong and Taiwan, right? I can recall watching a dub like that of Techno Police 21C, but are there any other show which you remember?

Also, when I talked with a friend through Twitter about this a few days ago, he mentioned that he heard some of the voices suspiciously similar to the English dubs of kung fu movies in the 1960s? Is this suspicion baseless, or is it true? That the so-called "Chopsocky" films being dubbed in Hong Kong and Taiwan and not America?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Anime being dubbed in English by Hong Kong/Taiwanese actors?

Post by davemerrill »

A lot of Asian films in the 1970s and 1980s would be dubbed by various production companies in Asia for export to the English-language markets. Much of the English-language dubbing was produced by William Ross and Frontier Enterprises: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Enterprises
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Hey now, don't forget about Macross Clash of the Bionoids. That is prime Hong Kong Engish to every grace the VHS scene. ;)

They mentioned the Voltes 5 dub, which is different than the filipino english dub of the TV series. I will give it that the Voltes 5 compilation move does have complete sentences spoken, but it lacks the charm of the TV series dub of how really serious people sound all the time.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

In the early to mid 2000s, Geneon (Shounen Onmyouji, Zipang, Karin) and Bandai (Fantastic Children & Dandoh!!) did some ADR work with a company called Odex Private Limited, which is based in Singapore. They recorded those scripts with actors from Voiceovers Unlimited (Private Limited), who are all based in Singapore as well and those dubs were used in the North American as well as Singaporean (and probably other English releases in south and southeast Asia) releases.

I remember people talking about these odd (if you're not used to Singaporean English accent) on various anime forums but for whatever reason, I seem to remember there being a lot more stuff that Odex had their hands in and their subcontracted dubs but I had to look up on ANN and see what the names of the companies and their releases were. Use of Singaporean actors in a North American release is even more niche than I thought. Some of these shows had mixed popularity but I don't think any of them were good sellers in North America; I've never seen these dubs or have I looked them up.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.