Evangelion coming to Netflix! Spring 2019!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Evangelion coming to Netflix! Spring 2019!

Post by DKop »

So Netflix released a trailer for Evangelion to be streamed on Netflix. So far its the television series, but who knows if the End of Eva/Rebirth films may one day make it on Netflix, same with the Rebirth movies. I take it the quality is going to have to be from the HD Bluray sets, which means seeing Eva on Netflix would be the only way to see a recent version of it in the best quality out there. Interesting that Netflix gets the series before Funi would ever wanna bring it to Bluray.

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/ ... 7534409728
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Evangelion coming to Netflix! Spring 2019!

Post by usamimi »

In the replies of the tweet and in the description on their official trailer, it confirms it's the TV series plus the 2 films. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSISwxrY4
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop

Post by DKop »

I actually didn't bother to see the description on the Youtube video, because I didn't see the promo on Youtube. Thanks for clearing that up!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Wow, looks like Evangelion will be getting a new dub as well--Amanda Winn Lee confirmed she "can't say why", but she knows the original ADV dub will not be streaming on Netflix. https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/11/30/ ... -comments/
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Netflix dropped a date last night: June 21, 2019. (Kinda.....far off from their original "Spring 2019" announcement, lol.)

Also Amanda Win Lee confirmed on Twitter last night that officially none of the ADV cast will be involved in this new dub Netflix is making.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Kinda odd that they wouldn't at least give the option of choosing the original dub...but I guess they want theirs to be the "definitive and only" english dub you're watching or something silly like that.
DKop

Post by DKop »

I hung out with Tiffany Grant a couple of weeks back at AgamaCon, and her response to it is she's a bit sour on the whole redub because she won't do Asuka and stated that now today's fans are gonna know who the new cast of her character would be instead of her. Asuka has been Grant character for 20+ years at this point, so I can't blame her for stating that.
llj

Post by llj »

DKop wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:29 pm I hung out with Tiffany Grant a couple of weeks back at AgamaCon, and her response to it is she's a bit sour on the whole redub because she won't do Asuka and stated that now today's fans are gonna know who the new cast of her character would be instead of her. Asuka has been Grant character for 20+ years at this point, so I can't blame her for stating that.
On the upside for Grant, I don't think any subsequent re-airings of Evangelion can capture the phenomenon it was (on both sides of the Pacific) back in 96-97. Most of today's younger fans don't talk about Eva in the same way as those who followed the show when it was coming out on VHS or airing in Japan and people were fansubbing it as it was airing. To this generation, Evangelion is just some old anime show with a whiny protagonist that today's 30-40 year olds were into back in the late 90s.
DKop

Post by DKop »

I wonder how this is going to affect the release of 4.0 in the states. If Funi is still going to handle the Rebuild movies, then its in their best interest to keep the original staff. If not, it's kinda weird to get a new cast for a film series in the last film released. But we won't cross that bridge for another 6-10 years from now seeing from when the films will be released in Japan to when it finally comes out in the states.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

llj wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm To this generation, Evangelion is just some old anime show with a whiny protagonist that today's 30-40 year olds were into back in the late 90s.
NFLIX Producer: Lots of kids watched that Killing-la-Kills cartoon...now we need something to hook the paying parents. Damn Full House actress scandal is costing us money!
NFLIX Lackey: There was this EVANGELION series 30 years ago that is still going through endless product cycles, but it's in 4:3 and may need a new dub...
NFLIX Producer: Email Japan right now and ask how many yen for this EVANDNERIUM!