Mechademia

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
BadMediaKarma
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Mechademia

Post by BadMediaKarma »

Not sure where to put this really, but out of curiosity does anyone here read Mechademia? It's a great academic journal on Japanese anime and manga that will be returning in 2019 after a four year hiatus. I discovered it while writing my thesis for an Asian art seminar a couple years ago and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the academic side of Japanese animation and scholarship :)

Link (since apparently hyperlinking isn't a thing): https://www.mechademia.net/
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Re: Mechademia

Post by karageko »

I'd always meant to go check it out but it totally slipped from my mind in favor of focusing on school stuff. I guess I have the time now that I'm not in school anymore but I've been more curious about finding an equivalent Japanese academic journal covering the same material. Haven't found one yet if it exists, but I could just be bad at searching.

I know in past issues Mechademia has had related Japanese academic papers translated for the journal. AWA 2017 I did go to an anime in academia panel (I think the same guy runs it every year), specifically because I wanted to ask who actually translates the Japanese papers. The guy said that the journal committee asks the journal contributors if they can do it. He said he's done it himself even though by his own admission his Japanese knowledge is *hand gesture for so-so* and he's told them that as well. I kind of found this a little questionable but maybe there's more involved than the summary given to me. That being said in my limited experience, Japanese academic writing is a lot less obfuscated than English academic writing.

There's an AWO podcast episode from 2007 that reviews volume 1 over here https://www.awopodcast.com/2007/04/bonu ... g-and.html . That episode is largely the extent of my knowledge of anything about Mechademia.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog