So about those Megazone 23 sequel/remakes

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Onei-03
Anime Fan Since: 2008

So about those Megazone 23 sequel/remakes

Post by Onei-03 »

So there seems to be two or so anime in the works based on the classic 80s OVA series (or at least, mostly the first two OVAs. Safe to say the 3rd/4th are understandably neglected). This is sorta old news but I didn't see anyone mention it on here:

So there's Megazone 23 XI; which is a sequel of sorts (though it's been in the works since around 2017). There's also Megazone 23 Sin. The one I'm more interested in is the reboots/remakes of Parts 1 and 2 right [here] since from the looks of the poster, it seems like it'll try to keep the style intact.

You can find more info from this article here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ii/.144973

Personally, after having watched both Part 1 and 2, I'm pretty interested in these. I know XI and Sin will be met with hesitation due to the artstyle and expectations of modern tropes and trends but I hope they're able to keep the tone of the old OVAs.

DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: So about those Megazone 23 sequel/remakes

Post by DKop »

With AnimEigo going to be releasing Megazone 23 next through the Kickstarter Campaign, maybe there's a way to get these out with those original OVA's. I think things are set in stone for the original ones, so if anything another company like Maiden Japan or RightStuf could release those in the future.
Onei-03

Post by Onei-03 »

DKop wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am With AnimEigo going to be releasing Megazone 23 next through the Kickstarter Campaign, maybe there's a way to get these out with those original OVA's. I think things are set in stone for the original ones, so if anything another company like Maiden Japan or RightStuf could release those in the future.
I'm certain some dubbing/subbing company (if it isn't AnimEigo) is willing to get those titles since not only are they new but are also tied to a known-property.

I'm more interested in, like, how they're gonna approach the titles since many things can go wrong. I hope not; I really do. I really want these to have the same exact impact that the first two OVAs had on me: awe-struck and excited pondering on certain aspects while having the music stuck in my head in a good way.

I'm just afraid they'll end up being too "up in themselves" while killing off some random cute girl in the first 5/10 minutes where suppose to have cared about for shock value (lol Mami Tomoe). That or it ends up with tons of distracting fan-service. I know both of these points could be pointed towards the first two OVAs but with those, they were executed in a better way I feel.

Like I said, I want them to be good.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Well, they will likely already lose points compared to the originals the minute I spot the inevitable first CG sequence. :lol:
Onei-03

Post by Onei-03 »

llj wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 am Well, they will likely already lose points compared to the originals the minute I spot the inevitable first CG sequence. :lol:
They definitely will use CGI, unfoutinately. If I recall, there's not that many animators who specialize in 2D mechanical animation nowadays; either because there's not as much or the ones who were either quit to specialize in something simpler or died of overwork.

Fortunately it seems like CGI in anime has gotten a lot better over the years. I remember watching the first two episodes of Aquarion (2005) and finding the 3D in that a bit distracting for me. Also the sudden obviously-3D helicopter scene in the Golgo 13 1983 film, while intriguing from a meta perspective, is just...baffling. Made me wish they could have animated it in 2D.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

They are better now, but I can still spot them. CG is largely one of the reasons why space shows in particular have fallen flat for me in recent years. I see scenes of cute anime girls doing stuff, and then a space battle scene happens and it's like "Oh great. Two CG spaceships shooting each other now." It takes me out of the show.