Gkids licenses the original Evangelion series for bluray release in the US

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Gkids licenses the original Evangelion series for bluray release in the US

Post by usamimi »

Gkids announced over the weekend on Twitter that they've gotten the home video rights to 90s Eva! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ad/.164852

This was a huge shock, as I assumed Netflix's ownership of streaming rights might have included home video, but looks like Gkids paid whatever amount Gainax/Khara wanted to make bluray sets and digital download-to-own possible. No set date, tho they say "2021" in the announcement, and tease an "Ultimate Edition".
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Gkids licenses the original Evangelion series for bluray release in the US

Post by DKop »

Here's to hoping the old ADV dub gets over to the new release, but im skeptical itll happen. Ill just wind up with two different releases with two different dubs :lol:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

It's not totally far-fetched, as Gkids did manage to get the Disney dubs for all their Ghibli catalog. But the fact that ADV isn't around technically anymore AND they had past legal problems could make it difficult. Also, Gainax/Khara might not approve it. Lots of hurdles for them, I imagine. I'd like to see them get it simply for the fans who liked it, though.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Id image its miles better to get the permission from ADV on the dub than for Khara to approve it.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

AWESOME! And with GKids, we know it will be affordable and accessible. I never did sit down and finish the End of Evangelion either, the Manga release was just too shitty a transfer lol.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah I have that old Manga release and it has aged SO badly. Oof.

Yeah, I'm assuming the regular edition will be a pretty standard price (since it's the whole tv series plus movies, I'm estimating somewhere around the $80+ mark), while the "ultimate edition" they teased will probably be closer to what Nozomi does for their ultimate sets, like $200+. I'm looking forward to seeing what will be included!
DKop

Post by DKop »

I could always wait a few years to get the ultimate edition down the road used and sit on it till its worth a butt load of money like I did with the platinum edition, rinse and repeat :D