Is there a story behind the Armitage III: Poly-Matrix dub?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Is there a story behind the Armitage III: Poly-Matrix dub?

Post by mbanu »

Slightly pre-Toonami, so I thought it might be a good place to ask. Elizabeth Berkley was unpopular at the time due to Showgirls, but as far as I can tell she didn't do anime before and hasn't done anime since. This is also true for Kiefer Sutherland, minus the Showgirls part (did he also do an unpopular-at-the-time film?) It wasn't an all-celebrity cast, most of the cast seems to be anime-dub regulars. So how did these dub actor choices come about?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Is there a story behind the Armitage III: Poly-Matrix dub?

Post by llj »

I have foggy memories, but I believe the plan was to release this in select theatres in the US, and the thinking was they could maybe spruce up the release with a few celebs that they could *afford*.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Is there a story behind the Armitage III: Poly-Matrix dub?

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:36 pm I have foggy memories, but I believe the plan was to release this in select theatres in the US, and the thinking was they could maybe spruce up the release with a few celebs that they could *afford*.
This was what I always assumed, since I don't think I've ever read anything official to confirm it. Anime in theaters was still a pretty rare treat at the time. I know they also HEAVILY advertised the celeb voices when the movie was shown on Sci-fi channel back in the day as well...While Berkley might not have been a huge draw, Sutherland was probably still notable enough for people who were into watching Sci-fi channel at least.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*