Discotek have found Project A-ko master reel!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Discotek have found Project A-ko master reel!

Post by Fireminer »

This literary came out of nowhere: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 0880619522

It seemed like Discotek had been trying to find this master for a long time. They knew it was in a film lab, but couldn't find it. Robert Woodhead noticed there was a paperwork mistake, and thanks to his help, Discotek was able to located the reel. What a story, huh?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Discotek have found Project A-ko master reel!

Post by usamimi »

I am STILL reeling from this news, because for literally decades now EVERYONE thought that the masters for this had been lost. EVERYONE!! And for Robert Woodhead to help find them is truly an amazing chance of serendipity. I'm so excited about this new remaster!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

AMAZING news! I knew there had to be some sort of print out there, but a master reel is better than I could have hoped for.
llj

Post by llj »

I also wonder what the Japanese reaction is to this news. Surely there are many fans of A-Ko still in Japan?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

In my mind all im thinking is him rolling over to the other side of his bed, reaching underneith blindly on the floor below, touching something on the floor and muttering "...mmm, I think that might be it- YEP, FOUND IT! I knew I had this somewhere close by!" :lol:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:29 pm I also wonder what the Japanese reaction is to this news. Surely there are many fans of A-Ko still in Japan?
I'm sure there has to be! Maybe once the bluray is out, word will spread a little more, unless the news gets any traction on Twitter to Japanese fans (which is possible!)
DKop wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 pm In my mind all im thinking is him rolling over to the other side of his bed, reaching underneith blindly on the floor below, touching something on the floor and muttering "...mmm, I think that might be it- YEP, FOUND IT! I knew I had this somewhere close by!" :lol:
lol well, they explained how he helped them find it already, but if they hadn't I think that's what we all would have imagined!
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

So you're telling me I will be buying Project A-ko again?

I have no problem with that.

The latest version of A-ko on DVD seemed fine to me, other than what looked like over compression. The sequels, though, looked like they had been copied from a VHS tape that had survived a fire. I really enjoyed the first couple sequels, and hope we can get good version of them too, eventually.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 am So you're telling me I will be buying Project A-ko again?

I have no problem with that.

The latest version of A-ko on DVD seemed fine to me, other than what looked like over compression. The sequels, though, looked like they had been copied from a VHS tape that had survived a fire. I really enjoyed the first couple sequels, and hope we can get good version of them too, eventually.
If you thought the old DVD was fine, just wait til you see how this remaster looks, because it's pretty damn amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVy_SHnpOqI&t=1s

They said "no comment" on remastering the other films, so I'm guessing either they haven't gotten all the materials yet, or that's just a future announcement they have to wait on for now.
llj

Post by llj »

The last DVD was still watchable, but you can definitely see the colors aren't as deep as they should be, nor is the linework as clear, especially by modern standards.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

usamimi wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:32 am If you thought the old DVD was fine, just wait til you see how this remaster looks, because it's pretty damn amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVy_SHnpOqI&t=1s
I watched it twice, and frankly didn't understand what all the fuss was about because it looked super compressed too.

Then I decided to click on the gear and see if I could change the resolution. For some reason that video had defaulted to the lowest setting! I put it on 4k and...damn. Yeah. That's looking real nice.