The new Demon Slayer movie. It's a huge box office hit. Thoughts?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

The new Demon Slayer movie. It's a huge box office hit. Thoughts?

Post by llj »

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but even though Demon Slayer I know is pretty popular, I never thought it would do this well. Anyone seen it?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: The new Demon Slayer movie. It's a huge box office hit. Thoughts?

Post by davemerrill »

I don't know the first thing about it - Demon Slayer came into my field of vision already a huge hit that apparently everybody else had already gotten the memo about. Glad people are getting to see a thing they like, though.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I figured it was popular on that typical shonen level of at least being around the same ballpark as a Tokyo Ghoul/Fairy Tail. But the money it's making in every country? That's unexpected. This movie has been beating even stalwart brand releases like DBZ and Pokemon.

It doesn't even seem to get talked about as much as My Hero Academia or One Piece or Attack on Titan in the anime forums I visit now and again.

Demon Slayer must be pretty a huge with a certain demo out there (kids I guess?) with their own word of mouth websites away from the "mainstream" anime forums.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

I've seen the series and it does nothing novel but succeeds at being typical (which is lately what appeals to popular demand). I think that the strongest aspect is its characters, especially the brother and sister dynamics. I liked a few things about it, especially the color pallette, but at the end of the day it just wasn't weird or transgressive enough for me.