What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by greg »

I found the 999 dub on YouTube. Somebody had uploaded it. I figured it was from the '80s, but it probably was the Viz version, from what llj says.

I remember watching the Viz dubbed Fatal Fury OVAs. They were the only versions I could rent. The first was alright, but the second one was more fun because of Mai. Her character really lightened up the show, I think. I guess there is something comedic in the irony around Andy, with having a girl like her insisting on marrying him and he doesn't seem very interested in her. It must be her smothering personality that turns him off.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
X-KID Z
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by X-KID Z »

Just watched the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (1993). I've seen an episode a few years ago, but this was the first time watched the entire thing. Man was it right up my alley! The art style, the animation, the action, the story, the characters! The scene where the water Stand in the cantine sucked the dude's head in was nuts! The final Dio battle episodes were so bad ass to watch, and the gambling episode was brilliant!

I had thought that some of the animators who animated the Dragon Ball Z movies did some of the key animations on Jojo's, but after looking it up I guess not. There were some shots of Dio that reminded me so much of Broly. A lot of it reminded me of Dragon Ball Z animator Tadayoshi Ramamuro.

I then watched the 2000's prequel, which was kind of a chore to watch. Not much exciting action and animation going on, it seemed slower, and the shots were not interesting. Not enough long shots like in the older OVA. Didn't have that cinematic feel as the old OVA. Of course Satoshi Kon storyboarded an episode or two of the old one, which shows.

Other than that, I've started on watching Ronin Warriors again, which I haven't seen since it last aired on Toonami. Started Gundam 0083 again, I actually haven't finished the series even though it was one of the earlier VHS's I bought (I took the recommendation from the old Gamers Republic magazine review). So no spoilers please. Detanator Orgun, I have the last episode to watch still. MD Geist (intense), Metal Armor Dragonar, Machine Robo Cronos, Silent Mobius, and Plastic Little are the latest anime's I've watched.

I got into Patlabor recently, which I love! Watched the Patlabor Movie, then the OVA, and now I'm on the TV series.

I'm slow to get through an anime series, watching them when I can make time and when am in the mood.
Last edited by X-KID Z on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwantzu dudes!
X-KID Z

Post by X-KID Z »

greg wrote:I found the 999 dub on YouTube. Somebody had uploaded it. I figured it was from the '80s, but it probably was the Viz version, from what llj says.

I remember watching the Viz dubbed Fatal Fury OVAs. They were the only versions I could rent. The first was alright, but the second one was more fun because of Mai. Her character really lightened up the show, I think. I guess there is something comedic in the irony around Andy, with having a girl like her insisting on marrying him and he doesn't seem very interested in her. It must be her smothering personality that turns him off.
The Fatal Fury OVA I remember most is the Armor of Mars movie that showed on Sci-Fi Channel Saturday Anime, which I recorded. Great movie!
Kwantzu dudes!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

The Walking Dead season 4 is on Netflix! I bought the Blu ray last week and I have been having some fun watching it. Plus Deathnote and Sword Art online is out. I have been watching all three.
***^__^***
greg

Post by greg »

I've only seen the first JoJo episode, with the water in the desert. That was one super intense episode! The way that they were all hiding on top of the crates so as not to be detected when they touched the sand. Amazing.
X-KID Z wrote:Started Gundam 0083 again, I actually haven't finished the series even though it was one of the earlier VHS's I bought (I took the recommendation from the old Gamers Republic magazine review). So no spoilers please.
I will only tell you that the Gundam Unit 3's Dendrobium is one of the most badass machinery ever in a mecha anime!
yusaku wrote:Plus Deathnote and Sword Art online is out. I have been watching all three.
So what is Sword Art Online like? I am a sucker for girls with swords, so the character designs pique my interest.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
X-KID Z

Post by X-KID Z »

greg wrote:I've only seen the first JoJo episode, with the water in the desert. That was one super intense episode! The way that they were all hiding on top of the crates so as not to be detected when they touched the sand. Amazing.
That episode reminded of the Tremors movie! Same situation in the desert and had to keep quiet from the sound tracking killer. Loved that movie!
Kwantzu dudes!
yusaku

Post by yusaku »

Sword Art is a nice surprise. The story revolves around a gamers get trapped in a virtual reality game that traps them in the game. The players body remained trapped in the computer headset until the game is defeated. If the headset is removed by force the gamer dies. If the gamer dies in the game the person dies in real life. They are trapped by the games designer. It is very good story, and plenty of plot twists. It is a treat. I am sure you will like it.
***^__^***
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Marathoned SteinsGate last night. It's certainly a 'page-turner' type of anime series, although looking back, I'm not sure they don't contradict some of their internal time travel 'laws' a number of times during the series--there are a few details in the show that seem to conflict with theories established earlier in the series. However, it's certainly the most in-depth theoretical examination of time travel I've seen in any TV show or movie yet, but it's an inevitably tricky subject because while time travel may well be theoretically possible (I'm unsure of it myself, but there have been some reasonable scientific theories floated about), I'm not sure plot wise one can craft a scientifically airtight, dramatic story around the subject because inevitably you will have to break some rules to satisfactorily write a decent drama around it. I think the only time travel story I read that truly seemed to follow its internal time travel logic while still maintaining a satisfactorily dramatic narrative was Stephen King's 11/22/63. And even there it might have cheated a bit in the end.
greg

Post by greg »

yusaku wrote:Sword Art is a nice surprise. The story revolves around a gamers get trapped in a virtual reality game that traps them in the game. The players body remained trapped in the computer headset until the game is defeated. If the headset is removed by force the gamer dies. If the gamer dies in the game the person dies in real life. They are trapped by the games designer. It is very good story, and plenty of plot twists. It is a treat. I am sure you will like it.
Well, it's similar to The Matrix in that respect. The PSP Fate/Extra game has the exact same basic premise, too. Hoewever, I don't have a closed-minded "been there, done that" type of attitude towards things that may seem derivative, since it's how the familiar premise is used is what counts.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku

Post by yusaku »

We have seen a lot of anime since the 80's and it is sometimes hard to bother watching the new anime. I learned about Sword Art from another bass player. We were talking about cello and upright bass and I found out he was an anime fan. So he told me about Sword Art Online and I decide to watch it after months of seeing it on my Netflix feed. I was glad I did. The popular anime seems to plain for my eclectic tastes. It is nice to wrong and find out something is popular because it is actually good.
***^__^***