What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by Char Aznable »

Finished Steins;Gate and...wow. I remember reading the plot summary a few years ago and was, in no way, impressed or captivated by the premise. I like time-travel stories and such, but it just sounded too quirky. However, after watching this show, it's easily become one of my favorite recent anime titles. I ended up watching the English dub which, also, may have been one of the best dubs I've heard in quite some time.

Not sure what I'm going to watch next. Unfortunately, Steins;Gate is a tough act to follow.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I was able to watch my shiny new Robot Carnival DVD thanks to Discotek! :D
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I was able to watch my shiny new Robot Carnival DVD thanks to Discotek! :D
Nitro & I just got our copy in the mail today, too! And earlier this week we got the new Vampire Hunter D blu-ray. Can't wait to check out both and see how they look~
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Please let us know how the Vampire Hunter D Blu-ray looks; I'm strongly considering picking that up!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Did you all know that there's a new version of Heroic Legend of Arslan? It's coming on in an hour from now, on my SBS channel. I own the original complete series on DVD, but I've never watched it all the way through. IIRC, my friend told me that they never finished it. At least, this was back in the mid-'90s.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Sentionaut
Anime Fan Since: Early 1990s

Post by Sentionaut »

greg wrote:Did you all know that there's a new version of Heroic Legend of Arslan? It's coming on in an hour from now, on my SBS channel. I own the original complete series on DVD, but I've never watched it all the way through. IIRC, my friend told me that they never finished it. At least, this was back in the mid-'90s.
I've been trying to keep up with the new version, think I'm somewhere around episode 16. It's been pretty entertaining so far, though I do prefer the original art style in regard to the character designs.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I'm curious about the new version of Heroic Legend of Arslan. From what I've heard, it seems to be pretty good; but I will admit that I prefer the art style of the original as well.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I'm curious about the new version of Heroic Legend of Arslan. From what I've heard, it seems to be pretty good; but I will admit that I prefer the art style of the original as well.
Yeah. I mean, not to knock Arakawa's new designs cuz she's a great artist, but I was kinda thrown off when this: http://rubese.net/twisoq/img/e112337762 ... f9e167.jpg turned into this for the new show: https://41.media.tumblr.com/e2c2bb77955 ... o1_540.png

I mean...that just looks so impractical for battle! :lol:

But I have heard that it's a great series, regardless, so that's good at least. ;)

Last night Nitro and I had a semi-recreated Night of the Vampire Robots by watching the new Robot Carnival DVD and the new Vampire Hunter D blu-ray! Both were excellent picture & sound quality (probably the best I've seen either look!), though it's a bummer neither has very much in way of extras. (Though Mr. Mike Toole has a great write-up on the Robot Carnival DVD!) But really, it's nice to just have these back in print. :mrgreen:
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Last night Nitro and I had a semi-recreated Night of the Vampire Robots by watching the new Robot Carnival DVD and the new Vampire Hunter D blu-ray! Both were excellent picture & sound quality (probably the best I've seen either look!), though it's a bummer neither has very much in way of extras. (Though Mr. Mike Toole has a great write-up on the Robot Carnival DVD!) But really, it's nice to just have these back in print. :mrgreen:
Very cool! Did you make sure to watch the trailer first? ;)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I totally did! :lol: We were tempted to pull up Twilight of the Cockroaches afterwards cuz I think it's on YT but we were too tired XD