What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by greg »

danth wrote:I can't deal with this crap. Why are protagonists so angry? It wasn't like this when I was a kid. Rick Hunter never cried tears of rage while screaming some holier-than-thou monolog at confused onlookers.

I need main characters that I like, but I want to strangle this kid.
I haven't seen the show yet, so I can't really offer an opinion, but I think the opposite is just as bad (if not worse): a whiny, weaselly dink who is so self-absorbed in his inner emotional turmoil and is constantly on the verge of wetting himself in fear. Yes, I am thinking of Shinji from Evangelion and how his character became a popular anime trope. Ugh. I'll take Kamille Bidan anyday! He started out angry and cocky, but he quickly knew what he was fighting for and wasn't a pathetic whimp like Shinji.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Watched the Five Star Stories movie. Pretty cool. Not quite sure what to say about the character designs, though. ;)
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Not watching it yet but man, man, the opening to the Japanese version of the new 'Italy first' Lupin III series is just making me all nostalgic and stuff. Reminds me alot of the 4th OP from the second series with even more energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaosZlQqrY

Tell me that doesn't make you want to watch it right damn now. :)
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I'm currently watching Kyokai no Rinne, Oremonogatari (My Love Story!) and re-watching Outlaw Star. Pretty soon I'm gonna complete Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory.
Daniel wrote:I made it through the opening of Dragonball Super but not much else... How's the quality on the TV application?
Dragon Ball Super is definitely suffering from some quality issues here and there. One of the episodes even got heavily criticized online for it's poor animation quality during a fight scene of Goku versus Beerus. It was pretty bad. I am watching it, since X Kid-Z is watching it, but I don't particularly like it.

I loved Fukkatsu no F the movie though, soooo good. Tadayoshi Yamamuro and Akira Toriyama gold.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

I'm so out of the loop regarding new Dragon Ball stuff... Pretty much stopped watching after GT...

Well... Oh well...
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Unfortunately, TVapp.so doesn't work anymore. It may be that it's gone pay like IPTV Stalker and even the Chinese box makes now have pay APKs for their "services"...
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Sentionaut wrote:Started watching Genesis Climber Mospeada. About five episodes in, and really enjoying the character interactions. Also been watching Super Dimension Century Orguss. Almost finished with that series, but I think I'm having more fun watching Mospeada. Maybe it's the transforming motorcycles, or the wasteland vibe.
Both of these shows I need to pick back up. I was really into Mospeada up until one point, then they did something stupid and now I can't find the next disk, so I shelved it. I started Orguss and put it down almost as quickly as I picked it up; nothing wrong with the series itself, just me not taking the time to come back. Now that Discotek has it out on DVD again, I should just pick it up.

At AWA last weekend, I picked up the Harlock '78 series which I need to get around to watching since I've only seen a handful of episodes in a couple different languages. I've also been wanting to get on a cyberpunk kick lately, so I also want to pick up PsychoPass and some classics again, too.

So little time...
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Haven't really picked up too much from the Fall season yet except Diabolik Lovers More Blood. Such a guilty pleasure. I did finish Himouto! Umaru-chan and Makura no Danshi from the summer season. HU is a gag series and it was entertaining, and MnD...I'd only recommend that if you're a fujoshi and you like this kind of stuff.

After being prompted by a friend and some sake while at YaoiCon this year, I just finished Love Stage and I'm halfway through Sekaiichi no Hatsukoi.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I'm trying to stick with horror-related anime for the month of October.

I've started watching Sankarea: Undying Love. Admittedly, the show's a romantic-comedy and has little to no genuine horror. But the zombie aspect and the main character's love of horror films definitely makes it a valid one to watch now. Three episodes in so far and it has my attention.

Also plan to start up Another within the next week or two. From what I hear, it's more of a pure horror tale.

I'm hoping to get my hands on Blood: The Last Vampire as well. I know it came out back in 2000, but it's one I still haven't seen. I do believe I own the manga sequel--which has gone unread thus far--around somewhere.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I want to watch some horror anime for this month too, though not too gorey, I'm really not into it. So I'm probably gonna watch Laughing Target, Mermaid's Scar, Curse of the Undead Yoma, and Demon City Shinjuku, on Halloween. Then end it with the Darkstalkers anime. ;)
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram