What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

mbanu wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm Re-watched Dagger of Kamui recently, mostly because I was missing the soundtrack. (^_^) Is there any other anime out there with a similar sound? I heard that Legend of the Millennium Dragon in 2011 brought together a bunch of the music staff from Dagger of Kamui; is there anything else out there?
One of my favorite anime soundtracks because it was so unique and eclectic. I can think of anime with elements of various tracks in it, but not exactly like the totality of it.

And when are we gonna get a blu ray of this?
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

I recently remembered that Future Boy Conan was well-regarded in oldtaku circles back in the 1990s so I dug it up. I'm flying through it and am already finished episode 16. So far, it is a great show! I am highly impressed with the quality of animation compared to a lot of other shows that first aired in 1978 but I guess I should expect no less from great directors like Miyazaki and Takahata!
Gaff
Anime Fan Since: 199X

Post by Gaff »

Mostly just been keeping up with the current season, particularly Lupin III: Part 5 and Cutie Honey Universe.

CHU has been really up and down. I think there's a good series in there somewhere, but the execution is kind of lacking - it really struggles to resolve the serious parts with the wacky hijinks.

Lupin has been top notch though. It's not without fault, but it feels like they've really addressed all the complaints I had about Part 4. They've actually managed to make the IP feel fresh again (outwith the Yamamoto/Koike strand) and that's no mean feat.
Fvlminatvs

Post by Fvlminatvs »

I found Space Cobra on Crunchyroll and it is pretty awesome. It is one of those shows I've always wanted to see. The original creator, Buichi Terasawa, must have been really influenced by Métal hurlant (in English, Heavy Metal magazine)--the art style is very Western and not as anime, although the way it is animated certainly is.

I also stumbled across Dream Hunter Rem and man, does that take me back to the good old days of 80s OVA weirdness!
Gaff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pmCHU has been really up and down. I think there's a good series in there somewhere, but the execution is kind of lacking - it really struggles to resolve the serious parts with the wacky hijinks.
Lots of old stuff had that serious drama vs. wackiness thing going on. Is it that the serious is just too serious for the wackiness?
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

You know, it might not even be that. I feel like the attempted humour undermines the more serious parts of the show, but Cutie Honey has never been a massively serious series anyway, so maybe it wouldn't seem right without it. Something about Universe just doesn't work for me, but I struggle to put my finger on what it is exactly. It has good ideas and there are a few very strong episodes, but the attempt to recreate the look of a 70s tv anime doesn't quite work, I don't feel the jokes land and often it would be nice if the writing were just a bit sharper.

Cobra is a good shout though, that's one of my favourites. Even for a tv series of that time, the animation still looks great today.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Godmars: http://www.crunchyroll.com/god-mars

No clue why this was licensed, but I'm a fan so far; It's like early 80s robot angst with a disco soundtrack. (^_^) The protagonist is a neurotic psychic with killer hair. His robot has a creepy smile. His boss has a Mario mustache. Kinda makes me curious about the later re-makes...
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

I cannot wait for the last episode of Megalo Box. I haven't been this excited for the last episode of a currently airing series in a really long time.

(It was also my prediction for best show of the four shows I decided to follow this season. Glad I was right! Normally I follow zero currently airing shows. The other shows are Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Die Neue These, Cutie Honey Universe, and Persona 5.)
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
Fvlminatvs

Post by Fvlminatvs »

Finished Space Adventure Cobra. Definitely loved it. Great show.

I actually got around to watching all of Clannad. It wasn't as great as everyone made it out to be, or as bad as everyone else made it out to be. All-in-all, a good show, even if it isn't a masterpiece. I think its actually a lot smarter than people realize, even its fans. I'm 6 episodes into After Story, so far. We'll see how it goes. This is the first Jun Maeda work I've seen.

I'm hoping to find legal streaming of the original Saint Seiya. Crunchyroll only has the Sanctuary arc, the last 1/3 or so of the show's original run isn't on there and I'd like to watch it.
karageko wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pmI cannot wait for the last episode of Megalo Box. I haven't been this excited for the last episode of a currently airing series in a really long time.

(It was also my prediction for best show of the four shows I decided to follow this season. Glad I was right! Normally I follow zero currently airing shows. The other shows are Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Die Neue These, Cutie Honey Universe, and Persona 5.)
Dude, check out Golden Kamuy. I've fallen a bit behind the release schedule but from what I've seen as of three weeks ago, it is pretty good.

I'm also digging Megalo Box, too.
mbanu wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:34 amGodmars: http://www.crunchyroll.com/god-mars

No clue why this was licensed, but I'm a fan so far; It's like early 80s robot angst with a disco soundtrack. (^_^) The protagonist is a neurotic psychic with killer hair. His robot has a creepy smile. His boss has a Mario mustache. Kinda makes me curious about the later re-makes...
Yeah, boyyyyyy. It is totally on my watch list.

So is Lost Universe. I'm probably going to start watching it and Godmars once I've finished a couple of this season's shows and freed up some watch time.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Lupin's not on this week, so decided to continue rewatching the Dirty Pair instead. It's never occurred to me to wonder before whether the animation in this is so good because Sunrise were determined to one-up TMS's work on Cobra.
Fvlminatvs

Post by Fvlminatvs »

Gaff wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:26 pmLupin's not on this week, so decided to continue rewatching the Dirty Pair instead. It's never occurred to me to wonder before whether the animation in this is so good because Sunrise were determined to one-up TMS's work on Cobra.
Nozomi Entertainment has both Cobra and a ton of Dirty Pair on their Youtube channel. Since they're the license-holders, I imagine watching the episodes there is legal. I know Cobra's on Crunchyroll but do you know where else is Dirty Pair?