What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by usamimi »

Right. It's super convenient to get 2 characters into more awkward situations in a romantic story if they live together. It is a bit lazy.

I also kinda wish there were more lesbian WOMEN in anime rather than teenage girls as a bi woman myself, but as we all know most anime made now is not geared towards our age group anymore lol. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

llj wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 am So I finished watching Citrus, the anime. I've been reading what other people thought of it online and I have to say I'm slightly amused that so much ink has been spilled on it, both positive and negative. I do feel that Citrus is a case of an anime simply coming out at the right place in the wrong time, or the wrong place at the right time. Whatever the case, it got some unusual attention when it came out because of its lesbian angle.
I haven't watched the anime yet, but I did read the manga. I found it entertaining enough, and I'll definitely check out the anime down the road. Totally understand people not liking it, but that whole uproar/backlash was rather amusing. It was funny how a couple of Crunchyroll's ads for the show really tried to play up the public "outcry" -- which I'm sure helped bring in even more viewers. I'd be interested to know if there was any such backlash over the anime in Japan. I tend to doubt it.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yeah, it's a pretty by-the-numbers story and by-the-numbers use of tropes outside of the lesbian angle. I doubt many people in Japan batted an eye.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I noticed that Crunchyroll has Sorcerer Hunters, so I'm giving it a go. The music is great! The show has some cheese potential, but I'll need a few more episodes before I can decide if it's good cheese or bad cheese. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

I finally gave in to curiosity and watched the live action Battle Angel. I don't remember the short OVAs too well, but I knew some elements unseen in the original would be in the movie, however...
I can't believe Alita's facial design made it past screen test uno. I think the CG team liked that ICE AGE rodent too much.
I know why the motorball plot wasn't in the anime; it seemed like "day-job" filler for the nights of criminal cyborg hunting.
In the director's personal notes there must be a required scene with Connelly in lingerie.

I do give the film props for excellent cyborg styling and the snippets of Mars VS Earth fighting. Makes up for all the camera plunges into her freaky eyeball.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

Sorcerer Hunters-wise, they're pouring the City Hunter horndog-with-a-heart-of-gold MSG on pretty heavy; hasn't gotten unbearable yet, but my gosh are they trying. (^_^;)

Tried watching FLCL Progressive but I couldn't get through it; you could tell that the folks working on it loved the original, but they couldn't seem to capture that unique FLCL mix of cool and creep.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

labsenpai wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:27 pm I finally gave in to curiosity and watched the live action Battle Angel. I don't remember the short OVAs too well, but I knew some elements unseen in the original would be in the movie, however...
I can't believe Alita's facial design made it past screen test uno. I think the CG team liked that ICE AGE rodent too much.
I know why the motorball plot wasn't in the anime; it seemed like "day-job" filler for the nights of criminal cyborg hunting.
In the director's personal notes there must be a required scene with Connelly in lingerie.

I do give the film props for excellent cyborg styling and the snippets of Mars VS Earth fighting. Makes up for all the camera plunges into her freaky eyeball.
I'm glad it wasn't horrible. (^_^) I can't imagine how many threats and pleadings James Cameron had to go through to get a big budget for a film based on a 90s Japanese direct-to-video cartoon that not even all anime fans watched back in the day. Maybe Alita would be a good stealth pick for bringing to movie nights where people are feeling like a B-movie but usually aren't into "that anime stuff".
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Started watching the BRs of 1984's Glass Mask I bought on discount sale, oh, two months ago. Knew only a little of the storyline going into it and that it had a decent reputation in Japan at the time. Two episodes in and so far so good. Looking forward to trying to watch more of it, maybe do something on the podcast with it.

I've also started Gurazeni. Very interesting take on a baseball anime; it's about a pro-player who is concerned with his salary, his peers' salaries and the stats one needs to make a specific salary. It's really numbers driven. It's so unlike most baseball anime that it's really engaging but I'm not sure how many clones of it I would watch, say, compared to 'play your heart out so you can get to Koushien' typical fare.

Also been watching some Sailor Moon R with my daughter, slowly. My first experience with a non-DIC dub (steaming via Hulu) and she appreciates the colors and movement, I'm sure :lol: She doesn't get a lot of TV exposure yet, so that's kinda her reaction to anything on TV right now.

There are probably a handful of other things I may be neglecting, I need to keep better track, I think.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Anime wise ive been watching (or last time I did like over 2 weeks ago) Cobra the Animation. I finished the Psychogun and the Time Drive which both are really good. The Animation im two episodes into that and ive dug it so far, I even found out it was a Christmas anime since it takes place during Christmas and Cobra keeps wishing everyone a Merry Christmas being drunk off his rocker. Darn good stuff!

Non anime is Farscape and finally getting into Twin Peaks. Between Matt Murray doing analysis reviews on youtube and hearing about it for a number of years I bit the bullet and really digging it so far. Farscape is a series ive heard about but never got to watch until I was with some people a couple of weeks back and they put it on and I figured id keep up with it through Amazon Prime.
llj

Post by llj »

Lu Over the Wall. Good fun film, basically Ponyo for a 13 and up set. Although I still miss the days when the anime industry used to pump out dark, stylishly violent theatrical action films, I think Masaaki Yuasa is my favorite of the current anime "film" directors. He just has a quirky experimental visual style that suits my tastes more than Makoto Shinkai or Mamoru Hosoda's teen angst and furry films do.