What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by mbanu »

llj wrote:I almost got excited for a second when I thought you wrote "MMA Junkie". :lol:
"Recovery of an MMA Junkie" would be DD Fist of the North Star, where Kenshirō retires from fighting and gets a job working at a convenience store: http://www.crunchyroll.com/dd-fist-of-the-north-star (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

mbanu wrote:Recovery of an MMO Junkie: http://www.crunchyroll.com/recovery-of-an-mmo-junkie

An interesting take on an older set of tropes, in more ways than one. (^_^) The main character is a woman in her 30s living off her savings after quitting a toxic job, and most of the supporting cast are working adults who move forward the story when they go against their best interests by spending all night gaming when they ought to be sleeping, rather than because they have an abundance of free-time.

It seems solidly done so far; I'm cautiously optimistic.
I actually got into watching this one recently, too! I heard about a new show with the main character being a woman in her 30s and was interested to check it out, as that's not a very common thing in anime old or new it seems. At first I was like "oh no, another NEET series", but it's actually pretty great so far? Mori is a likable heroine, and I'm surprised at how realistic some of the online friendship stuff seems to be playing out (both good and bad, lol). I'll be interested to see how the series ends, since someone told me the manga's been on hiatus for a little while apparently?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

mbanu wrote:
llj wrote:I almost got excited for a second when I thought you wrote "MMA Junkie". :lol:
"Recovery of an MMA Junkie" would be DD Fist of the North Star, where Kenshirō retires from fighting and gets a job working at a convenience store: http://www.crunchyroll.com/dd-fist-of-the-north-star (^_^)
DD Fist of the North Star was pretty darn awesome, because the staff was completely invested and dialed-in on the wacky, wonky mythology of the original show. Everything clearly came from a place of love, not simple mockery.

I am 100% behind the concept of Ryuken being a crappy lazy useless manager of a conbi. :)
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Been trying to catch up on some anime titles that I own, but haven't watched yet.

Just started Ninja Nonsense. I'm liking it more than I thought I would. It's goofy fun and doesn't strive to be more than that, plus the dub is well done.

Also watched the second and third Gundam: The Origin films. I was not disappointed (and it got me more excited to check out Thunderbolt).
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Finally hunted down the Gaogaigar collection set 2 from Mediablasters.

Now to find some fansubs of Gaogaigar Final, or hope Discotek picks it up. (I mean hey, they picked up Tekkaman Blade 2 without having the first TV series)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I was finally able to check out "Land of the Lustrous" (a friend of mine has an Anime Strike sub & we watched together), and I was actually very impressed, considering it's a 3D animated show. It actually looks really nice for the most part--still a little awkward at times, but since the cast is non-human humanoids, it still kinda works. The direction is also a lot better than I thought it'd be, and the story is compelling. Probably the best 3D animated anime I've seen so far (though I know that the bar for that is PRETTY LOW, lol.) :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Watched Appleseed Alpha yesterday. Very impressed with the CG animation and the story was interesting too. Definitely recommended.
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

After a long pre-order wait, I received some of the new Ghibli movies issued by GKIDS instead of Disney. I appreciate copies without any magic kingdom dressing, and a lower price. The easy reading subs don't catch every word, but that is to be expected. I don't have multi-channel audio for testing the DTS, but the picture quality is amazing. Of course, the last time I saw Porco's red plane it was on a CRT :shock:
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Watched the first episode of Katsugeki Touken Ranbu on a recommendation. I was really surprised -- the CG wasn't bad! I had sort of resigned myself to the idea that the Japanese animation industry has some sort of mental block that keeps it from doing good character CG, but it seems like they figured out a way to capture the limited animation feel of old anime without limiting the CG framerate. Not sure if the show itself will be any good, but I might have to keep an eye on their CG guy.

Also continuing with MMO Junkie. Even though the focus is MMOs, it's really more of a relationship show for internet people. Still enjoying it so far. Surprisingly restrained considering the weird Studio 4C short that was the director's only credit until now; maybe the rest of the staff are providing a moderating effect. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Sat down and watched a few more episodes of Hiatari Ryouko! while wrapping gifts this afternoon. I really want to compare this to the manga because the show seems very disjointed. The initial premise is ditched within a few episodes: a boarding house with various personality types and different sports is ditched for "let's all play baseball." I mean, I get it, it's Mitsuru Adachi and both the manga and the anime are practically concurrent with another work of his (Touch) in each format. It's not that I don't like Adachi's baseball manga/anime, or baseball manga/anime in general, either. Was hoping that this one would be something different as him taking a break from that genre.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.