What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by usamimi »

I really liked Lu Over The Wall! I got to see the premiere at Afest 2 years ago, along with The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl (which I totally recommend if you haven't seen yet!) I liked the Shark Dad in Lu a lot, as well as the merpup :lol:

Haven't watched much this season other than the new season of Chihayafuru. I missed those card playing kids.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yes, I own Night is Short, Walk on Girl. :D I also just received Tatami Galaxy in the mail, so I'm about to start on that now, finally.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Ah, you'll see a few familiar faces in Tatami Galaxy, then! :mrgreen:
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Took some time a couple of weeks ago and found some "motion-manga" things on Crunchyroll. Watched through all of Shoku-king, about a restaurateur who travels around Japan to save failing restaurants. I like it a lot but really, my wife and I love those types of dumb shows (Kitchen Nightmares, Restaurant Impossible, Bar Rescue, etc.) and this show is pretty much exactly that. I'm gonna try to check out the manga if I can but it's not officially licensed. The motion manga format is nice - I seem to remember this being like something I watched as a kid - where the art is mostly still and there are voice overs. The audio is Japanese but most of the text on the screen is English. There was another motion manga show I've started but haven't yet finished called Investor Z; if I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was from the guy who wrote Kaiji and Akagi. It is about a kid accepted to a very prestigious high school who is then selected for the secret finance club who run stock bets and investment as a means to fund the school (and mahjong is involved). Seems fun, who knows where it'll go.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Re:Zero. I'm watching a TV series that is recent by my standards!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and looking forward to season 2. It has its issues (your generic wimpy protag and generic bland plot device love interest) but the cliffhangers at the end of every episode are really something else and when it hits right, it really hits. But when it hits wrong, it's also really noticeable. The characters have a habit of overemoting in every scene so they can come off a bit hyperbolic.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

llj wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 amI think Masaaki Yuasa is my favorite of the current anime "film" directors. He just has a quirky experimental visual style that suits my tastes more than Makoto Shinkai or Mamoru Hosoda's teen angst and furry films do.
He has a new TV series out, "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!": http://www.crunchyroll.com/keep-your-hands-off-eizouken

Only a few episodes in, but so far I'm enjoying it. A nice throwback, one of the co-stars seems to be modeled after old-school Yankii girls. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

mbanu wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:06 pm
llj wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 amI think Masaaki Yuasa is my favorite of the current anime "film" directors. He just has a quirky experimental visual style that suits my tastes more than Makoto Shinkai or Mamoru Hosoda's teen angst and furry films do.
He has a new TV series out, "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!": http://www.crunchyroll.com/keep-your-hands-off-eizouken

Only a few episodes in, but so far I'm enjoying it. A nice throwback, one of the co-stars seems to be modeled after old-school Yankii girls. (^_^)
(Although this does seem pretty "teen angst" for him, so your mileage may vary.)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

YES I've been enjoying Eizouken a lot so far! I really liked that they talk about how anime used to be made, without computers. I hope that even these little tidbits of info interest younger viewers who might not know much about animation history! (Also, the girls are so funny and charming. Really reminds me of me and my friends when we were goofy young kids.)
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

One more who has started watching Eizouken. Like all of the characters but man, do I identify with Kanamori way too much...

I've also started watching Slam Dunk after years of not taking the chance, despite all of the recommendations I've had for it. Enjoying the series but the transfer (on Crunchyroll) looks like trash - I guess these are from the DVDs that Toei did themselves in the mid 2000s. Looks about as good as it would have watching the fansub tapes from the video store when it was first recommended to me :lol:. Also, the eye catch? Is the woman's English voice-over something they did for the DVDs or was that original to the show when it aired?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Eizoken is the best show of the season! It's also the only show of this season that I'm keeping up with, so my opinion may not be that valuable.