What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by usamimi »

Elytron Frass wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am should I watch Mermaid's Forest (TV series) or Mermaid's Forest OVA?
I've only seen but enjoyed Mermaid's Scar
Both OVAs I think are pretty good...the TV series came out when digipaint was still going on, so they don't look all that great, unfortunately :/
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

usamimi wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:41 am
Elytron Frass wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am should I watch Mermaid's Forest (TV series) or Mermaid's Forest OVA?
I've only seen but enjoyed Mermaid's Scar
Both OVAs I think are pretty good...the TV series came out when digipaint was still going on, so they don't look all that great, unfortunately :/
thnx, I'll go w/ the OVA first in that case. Some of TV series' screenshots have me intrigued about the creature designs. Seemed a bit more Lovecraftian in comparison but I've read that the animation can be very lacking.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I used to have the box set (got it free from someone who didn't want it anymore) and I wasn't a big fan. IMO the manga is way better!
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Blue Seed (first timer) - 5 episodes in and I think it's pretty well rounded so far. I know I missed the boat here but the Evangelion comparisons (although Blue Seed did air prior to Eva) and the fact that it's pop up randomly whenever I obsessively search for any supplimentary info on Blue Gender back when I was heavily nerding out to Blue Gender as it was airing, I avoided Blue Seed (unfairly). I'm having lots of fun. The characters are interesting enough, the animation is super solid, and the agami are really well designed. I am watching the dub so I'm getting drawing some inevitable ADV/Eva parallels but it's a better rebuild on my nostalgia than Eva's rebuilds could offer.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Space Adventure Cobra (the TV series from 82')

This blu-ray transfer is excellent. The colors are so vibrant. Although Kabuto wasn't nearly as good or well animated, I do hope it one day gets this type of restoration).

I've seen the film a handful of times and knowing it to be an abbreviated retelling of the series proper, I never bothered with the TV version. Glad I did. It's the sort of inventive and momentous pulp that doesn't feel as formulaic as other recent series I've watched like Kabuto and Blue Seed.

Curios and eager to give the more recently made Cobra series sequels a chance once I'm finished with this.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Lily CAT, Roots Search, Hell Target
Despite its bad rep, I'll always enjoy Roots Search and Hell Target a bit more than the Aliens-meets-Thing pastiche'd Lily CAT because it leans heavier into the cosmic horror genre. They're all pastiche to be fair: Roots Search rips off Fulci's The Beyond and Hell Target feels very similar to Event Horizon. Lily CAT is best on the eyes given it's the better transfer and arguably the most fluidly animated of these 3 features. Tastey junk food.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Im little over halfway through the Berserk 2017 series. The CGI doesn't really bother me, and im still digging it overall. I think the show is paced very well to adapt from the manga. I'm hoping more of the manga gets adapted soon but we'll see.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

I really hope another studio decides to commemorate Miura by adapting more/other arcs like the Lost Children arc (or whatever really). Despite his untimely death and the manga's lack of closure, Berserk shouldn't simply become hands-off.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Elytron Frass wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm I really hope another studio decides to commemorate Miura by adapting more/other arcs like the Lost Children arc (or whatever really). Despite his untimely death and the manga's lack of closure, Berserk shouldn't simply become hands-off.
I definitely think there's room for more anime to be made, and that could be a possibility if there were contracts signed long before he left us. But I'm assuming there may be a brief stretch of time before any of that could be made, out of respect for his passing. But fans of Berserk are already used to waiting, so no worries there.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

usamimi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:30 am I definitely think there's room for more anime to be made, and that could be a possibility if there were contracts signed long before he left us.
Indeed. I don't want to get this thread too off topic but Adi Shankar (producer of Netflix's Castlevania series) had this to say back in a 2018 interview:
Berserk needs to come back. If someone reputable gets me the rights I’ll bring it back in that 2D hand-drawn vibe and make is closer to the manga, because the hyper-detailed beauty of Kentaro Miura’s artwork in the manga is the true masterpiece.