What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Last week I got caught up on the episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin that are posted to Hulu. I'd been watching TheOrigin off and on, I liked the first two episodes, it hit all the right notes, it was good-old-classic-UC-Gundam that I know and love, etc. I made some time to watch episodes 3 and 4 and - holy cow - did I get into them. Just absolutely engrossed with how cool those episodes were, loved the aesthetics and story alike. I feel like Sunrise did their job because now I want to throw money at model kits and manga.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Yea im super psyched for the battle of Loum thats gonna be up the end of this year, that looks super good.

Bandai just needs to make a series of Origin for its 40th Anniversary, brings old Gundam to new fans, and I know it will look awesome.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I consider the MSG: Origin manga series to be one of the best to get a release in NA. Right up there with Nausicaa imo.
Kyrant
Anime Fan Since: 2003-ish

Post by Kyrant »

Watching Kimagure Orange Road for the first time. On about episode 10 now.

I actually didn't know anything about the show going into it, other than some things I had heard about Madoka as a character. Overall, I'm really getting into it. Especially in today's landscape of anime, I very much appreciate how it goes about fanservice, in that it doesn't go out of its way to overfetishize the female characters or anything, and just makes them likeable as people and puts the viewer into the experience of getting to spend time with them. The parts where the characters have stupid conversations about nothing in particular, but still meaningful because of what they mean to each other, capture so well the feelings of high-school love. It's honestly the best thing the anime has going for it, and while a lot of the other parts can be kinda clunky, (I'm not sure if the psychic powers being completely incidental is supposed to be part of the joke) that kinda gives the show an endearing charm. I'm looking forward to seeing how these relationships develop.

That said, Kyosuke really needs to man up and stop being such a jerk to Hikaru. That's really bothering me.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Those are definitely things I really enjoy about KOR. I always feel so sad for Hikaru....she really got the short end of the stick in the anime. :( Many people find her annoying, but I always felt sympathetic towards her. She deserves so much better.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Kyrant wrote:
That said, Kyosuke really needs to man up and stop being such a jerk to Hikaru. That's really bothering me.
Geheh...wait until you get to KOR: I Want to Return to that Day...

llj

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:Those are definitely things I really enjoy about KOR. I always feel so sad for Hikaru....she really got the short end of the stick in the anime. :( Many people find her annoying, but I always felt sympathetic towards her. She deserves so much better.

I always found it endearing how she frequently brought him something to eat whenever she visited him. Obviously she had ulterior motives in doing that, though (She obviously subscribes to the theory "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach.")
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I got a stack of KOR animeigo tapes sitting next too me for the past 5 months that I might get to watching this summer sometime, but well see.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I'm still working my way through the complete Gatchaman series. It's fun seeing the episodes completely uncut but, I admit, I'll always have a nostalgic soft spot for the "G-Force" version--and I wish more episodes had been released on DVD instead of just one volume. For newer anime, I'll probably start Akame Ga Kill this weekend.
llj wrote:I consider the MSG: Origin manga series to be one of the best to get a release in NA. Right up there with Nausicaa imo.
Completely agree, The MSG: Origin manga is phenomenal. Vertical really went all out in making it a worthy release to collect (love those hardcovers too).
DKop wrote:I got a stack of KOR animeigo tapes sitting next too me for the past 5 months that I might get to watching this summer sometime, but well see.
Funny you mention that, I've been digging through storage and found some KOR OVA tapes that I bought on eBay a few years ago. Guess I should watch those sometime soon...
llj

Post by llj »

Started watching Tokyo Ghoul. Another high-concept/generic shonen execution show. Once the main hook is out of the way, many of the familiar shonen trappings begin to fall into place and everything starts to feel a wee bit same-same.