What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:40 am

If your laptop (I think you mentioned laptop recently) has HDMI, you can connect to your TV that way. I've done it a few times for some very specific things I am trying to stream.
nope, no hdmi outlet. My laptop is a thinkpad from 2011-ish. I guess there are adapters, but I don't need it THAT much.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

llj wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:13 am
Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:40 am If your laptop (I think you mentioned laptop recently) has HDMI, you can connect to your TV that way. I've done it a few times for some very specific things I am trying to stream.
nope, no hdmi outlet. My laptop is a thinkpad from 2011-ish. I guess there are adapters, but I don't need it THAT much.
Yeah, this is approaching diminishing returns very quickly.

Been marching on with Marmalade Boy; finally into the 30s so I am passed where I had originally on fansub tapes. Let's see if this wild ride will keep up for another forty or so episodes.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
cosmosamurai

Post by cosmosamurai »

Just watched Here is Greenwood, the original Software Sculptors dub. Very nice slice of early 90s wacky shoujo OVA, only complaint is there's only 6 episodes.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

Grey: Digital Target

juggles many of the concepts and ideas that inspired both Oshii's Sky Crawlers and Garm Wars films (favoring dolls/synthetic humans over clones), but honestly tells a more interesting story about AI-controlled perpetual warfare. If only Grey were as well designed and animated as some of Oshii's mst ambitious films, it'd probably be less forgotten. Still the narrative and characters do most of the heavy lifting, allowing the film as a whole to hold up all these years.
llj

Post by llj »

Grey: Digital Target is one I've always wanted to get around to. I've always been attracted to those kind of nomadic-looking anime heroes. Maybe Discotek should pick it up, if they haven't already.

Anyway, I'm watching Noein, which I'd constantly see on DVD shelves back in the day, but never picked it up. The show starts slow becomes gripping, and then hits another slow patch in the teens, which is where I am. I like the concepts and ideas, and it has a lot of ambition behind it. The haunting music carries a lot of the scenes, though, as the animation is extremely wonky at times.
llj

Post by llj »

FLCL Alternative--Haven't watched Progressive yet but finished this, which I enjoyed OK. In truth, I wasn't a HUGE FLCL fanboy back in the day (I liked it well enough, I just didn't LOVE it) so I really don't notice much difference in quality between the original and this sequel at least. Apparently a lot of fans hate these sequels.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Finally finished Dorohedoro, which I really enjoyed! At the recommendation of a friend, I tried the dub and it was surprisingly good, great casting on that one.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Dorohedoro was best thing in such a long time. Haven't enjoyed myself that much since maybe Inuyashiki or Parasyte The Maxim. I really hope that there's a second season.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

finally sitting down to focus on the 12 episode series Mononoke (2007). This series itself is what I'd call an "occult procedural drama" and can be grouped into episodic multi-episode arcs. It requires more than average concentration/attention-span, given the complex visual style and importance of dialog-heavy investigative details. While I wasn't sold on the first 2 episodes (which comprise the first arc), I found the remainder, especially episodes 3-5 (the second arc), to be completely and cerebrally brilliant with eye-candy overdrive.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

should I watch Mermaid's Forest (TV series) or Mermaid's Forest OVA?
I've only seen but enjoyed Mermaid's Scar