What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by Char Aznable »

usamimi wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:12 pm Next time Rightstuf has a Discotek sale, it'd probably be around that price, so just keep an eye out! https://shrsl.com/2bq7j
Nice, thanks! I'll definitely be on the lookout when they run their next Discotek sale!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:06 pm Recently finished Gundam ZZ for the first time. It definitely improved as the show went on. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I enjoyed it more than Zeta. I found Judau to be more likable than Kamille -- or at least less prone to random mood swings.

Also watched 8 Man After, which is now available on Amazon Prime streaming. I heard mixed reviews about this one, but ended up really enjoying it. Makes me regret not buying a copy when FYE had it on sale for $9.99 years ago.
I really like ZZ Gundam! And it's not a "silly" show like some fans claimed it was, it's still a serious show, just with moments of comedy, much like many anime today. I feel like at the time people associated Gundam with being only serious, whereas ZZ Gundam was the first Gundam show where they had scenes of comedy to break up the tension.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

llj wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:52 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:06 pm Recently finished Gundam ZZ for the first time. It definitely improved as the show went on. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I enjoyed it more than Zeta. I found Judau to be more likable than Kamille -- or at least less prone to random mood swings.

Also watched 8 Man After, which is now available on Amazon Prime streaming. I heard mixed reviews about this one, but ended up really enjoying it. Makes me regret not buying a copy when FYE had it on sale for $9.99 years ago.
I really like ZZ Gundam! And it's not a "silly" show like some fans claimed it was, it's still a serious show, just with moments of comedy, much like many anime today. I feel like at the time people associated Gundam with being only serious, whereas ZZ Gundam was the first Gundam show where they had scenes of comedy to break up the tension.
Contrasted with Zeta - which started pretty serious and got more serious as the series went on, and the original, which was only unintentionally funny, ZZ is really jarring with how much comedy was in the beginning. It's reputation as "nothing but comedy" is overblown but a lot of that is probably spun from fans who watched it in the 80s and early 90s, expecting ZZ to turn that Zeta dial up, the way Zeta did before it; it got parroted and repeated and grew like a fishing story. ZZ really catches that more serious stride later on and it's my favorite part of it but when you want more Zeta and you're watching Moon Moon people, it can be kind of a slog.

I don't know if I am smarten-ing anyone up but Ryan J (Blacotaku) of OldType New Type fame put together an "Old School Fandom Mixtape" project, similar to Colony Drop/Zimmerit's modern fanzine projects. I got my copy in the mail this week and finally had some time thanks to the holiday weekend to start watching it. I'm enjoying Siamese Cats: First Mission, a 2001 film based on a Monkey Punch work. He's credited as Original Creator and Supervisor, but outside of his stylistic touch on a couple of the characters, it doesn't feel like some of his work I am familiar with. The two leading ladies are Radio DJs by day, counter-terrorism agents by night (wtf lol). It's a fun action romp of a film but doesn't try to get too deep or anything. It's got a feel that's a little bit Cat's Eye, a little Dirty Pair. I like it much better than another contemporary Monkey Punch anime, Cinderella Boy.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
llj

Post by llj »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Contrasted with Zeta - which started pretty serious and got more serious as the series went on, and the original, which was only unintentionally funny, ZZ is really jarring with how much comedy was in the beginning. It's reputation as "nothing but comedy" is overblown but a lot of that is probably spun from fans who watched it in the 80s and early 90s, expecting ZZ to turn that Zeta dial up, the way Zeta did before it; it got parroted and repeated and grew like a fishing story. ZZ really catches that more serious stride later on and it's my favorite part of it but when you want more Zeta and you're watching Moon Moon people, it can be kind of a slog.
The Moon People stuff was actually meant to be serious, IIRC, since they played an integral part near the end of the show and those Moon episodes featured one of the few mid-series deaths in ZZ.

Anyway, I haven't watched much lately. I caught Food Wars and man is it a silly series. Quite funny if you are in the right mindset though
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 pm

I don't know if I am smarten-ing anyone up but Ryan J (Blacotaku) of OldType New Type fame put together an "Old School Fandom Mixtape" project, similar to Colony Drop/Zimmerit's modern fanzine projects. I got my copy in the mail this week and finally had some time thanks to the holiday weekend to start watching it.
Is it still available for purchase? Do you have a link for people to buy it?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

For the tape, I reached out to Ryan directly on Twitter. The fanzines I think are print on-demand now.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
llj

Post by llj »

Mob Psycho 100--I surprisingly liked this more than I expected to, though I wish it kept its comedy up better because I thought it was doing well as a comedy-slash-underground pastiche of Akira, as it does get "more serious" during its finales. Loved the experimentation in animation styles.

Knight's and Magic--Watched 3 episodes and it doesn't seem as unique as I hoped.

Bungo Stray Dogs--Nicely made show but not too invested 6 episodes into it so far.

Strike Witches--I...didn't mind this? Despite the panty show rep, it's a pretty easy show to understand, each character has clearly delineated motivations, and the dog fights are not bad. It seems like the show that started that mini-boom of 'cute girls in the military' that was going on for a while in anime and manga in the early 2010s, which peaked at Girls Und Panzer.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime--Expected almost nothing from this, but it's more entertaining than I expected.
llj

Post by llj »

Ride Your Wave--Another enjoyable film from my favorite feature film anime director of the 2010s, Masaaki Yuasa. Hope he keeps the films coming, he's on a great run the last 5 years.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Ah, one of the few movies I was able to see in theaters this year! It was really nice, a lot less predicable than I thought it'd be from it's premise. I'm curious to see what he'll do now that he's left Science Saru.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Oh no, I didn't know he left Science Saru.