What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by usamimi »

Glad to hear the movie is good! I've been hearing pretty much the same thing all over social media, including the mention that they really didn't change the comedy. Which isn't really surprising....I do still love the characters and most of that series, even though it's always been a bit painful to watch. So I'll probably see it in theaters if it's playing anywhere near me!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Watching Hyouka right now. Well crafted stuff from KyoAni as expected. Yet another school show, but the gimmick of it being built around solving mysteries from a literary standpoint is fairly highbrow for this genre. Most people would find this show a little dry, but some of the stories are really well done.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Finally watched all 6 parts of Gundam: The Origin. Overall, I enjoyed it. I did feel that there were some aspects/characters they spent too much time on, while others were glossed over. But still worth checking out and adding to the collection. It really made me want to pop in my VHS copies of the original Gundam movie trilogy for a rewatch.

Just started My Hero Academia. I thought I was going to really dislike this show, but I'm finding myself far more into it than I could've imagined. It's probably one of the most enjoyable newer anime titles I've seen in some time -- and one of the few shows where I eagerly look forward to the next episode.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

caught PROMARE in the theater last Sunday and it's swell - fast, colorful, very Trigger. Great music, big, dopey, plot, lots of giant slabs of text whenever new characters are introduced, and dub isn't bad either.

We are watching our way through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and we're into Golden Wind and that show is nuts; starts off being a foppy Fist Of The North Star clone, but quickly develops its own take on pretty much everything. Ridiculously convoluted pulp nonsense, now with extra fop.

Carole & Tuesday is a gem. It's this year's Yuru Camp in terms of being a well-animated, pleasant feel-good kinda show.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I also recently saw Promare--super fun, gorgeous animation from Trigger as always (love the soundtrack!!). I've also been working my way through Carole & Tuesday, only watching maybe 2 episodes every few days. It's definitely a Shinichiro Watanabe anime, in all the best ways. It reminds me of all the softer, fun character focused parts of Cowboy Bebop, with tons of excellent music (I was looking through wiki at some of the folks that helped on the soundtrack and it's very impressive--leave it to Watanabe to get so many talented folks to help in a music-focused anime, huh?)

Also recently finished the first season of the Fruits Basket reboot. It's not without its flaws, but I daresay I may like it more than the original?? The pacing is good, the new actors are fantastic, and the animation is surprisingly great. I'm looking forward to seeing season 2 next year.
MaxaMillion
Anime Fan Since: 2004

Post by MaxaMillion »

karageko wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 pm Just got back from the City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes premiere at Anime Boston. Really cool and slick action sequences, although it certainly still has the outdated problematic comedy (although it's slightly not as bad as what I've seen so far in the first TV series, but certainly not what would be considered currently socially acceptable here in the US)...So if you can excuse the sexual harassment comedy..
I wanted to check it out ,but I'm kinda disappointed they still added the "pervy jokes" in the movie. I understand that's his character, same with the Lupin III movies, but really wish they took those out. I don't like City Hunter the TV series but I think the only reason I watched it was the catchy opening theme and ending theme. Half the episodes did make Ryo look really cool but the other half with the comedy I never cracked a smile. Apparently in the manga, Ryo was a soldier and him acting pervy is a cover-up since he doesn't want to get close to people. At least that's what I heard. Did the movie explain why smartphones now exist in the world? I saw it from the trailer.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

that's always been the deal-killer with me when it comes to City Hunter - the absolute determination of the series that Ryo Saeba will act like a horny 12 year old all the time. I get it, it's funny - once. Twice, not so much. Over and over again.... well, it's enough to make me not watch any more City Hunter.
llj

Post by llj »

So I finished watching Citrus, the anime. I've been reading what other people thought of it online and I have to say I'm slightly amused that so much ink has been spilled on it, both positive and negative. I do feel that Citrus is a case of an anime simply coming out at the right place in the wrong time, or the wrong place at the right time. Whatever the case, it got some unusual attention when it came out because of its lesbian angle.

Anyay, to describe Citrus in a nutshell, it's essentially standard shoujo romance anime except with lesbians. The protagonist is neurotic and loveable at the same time, a typical shoujo protagonist. The "love interest" is aloof and darkly handsome/beautiful girl with a dark side to her. There are lesbian rivals, comic relief, etc,. It hits pretty much all the formula of the standard shoujo. Take out the lesbian angle and it's a story you've seen in Marmalade Boy, Paradise Kiss, Peach Girl, Kadocha, etc etc etc,.

In terms of it coming out in the Western "MeToo" era, a lot of these tropes don't play too well. In particular there is a scene where the Love Interest forces herself on the protagonist aggressively. But, this is also a standard shoujo trope. I've seen countless times in shoujo where the Dark Dangerous Love Interest would suddenly force their interest on the protagonist out of the blue. These elements are still common in shoujo and as far as I know, they remain unchanging. That Citrus got attention OUTSIDE of the shoujo-anime bubble is where it got into some trouble. If it had been a straight romance like the Marmalade Boys and Hana Yori Dangos, nobody would have cared about these tropes.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Me personally, I dropped watching after the first episode because I'm not a fan of the way "we're siblings in a relationship, but it's OK because we're step-siblings!" has become a really common plot device in modern anime & manga...it kinda weirds me out. There's a few stories I like that are older that use it (the aforementioned Marmalade Boy, for example), but even then it kinda never sat well with me. I don't fault anyone for liking it, but I guess I'm so tired of seeing that particular plot device that I was just not willing to keep up with it at all lol.
llj

Post by llj »

Yeah, it's an overused plot device. I think a lot of it has less to do with the taboo factor and more to do with a way to get multiple scenes between two characters together in the same house to keep the story progressing. It's cheap and lazy but given the amount of key story points that happen "at home" for these type of shows, it's obvious why they continue to do it.