What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by Char Aznable »

I've been trying to make my way through the first season of Sailor Moon Crystal, and finding it to be a chore. For me, it's missing the charm of the original series, and I don't feel that this new iteration brings anything fresh to the table, at least story-wise. It doesn't help that I can't get behind the new animation style--I just don't care for how the characters look, nor do I like the use of CG during the transformation scenes. The music is one of the standouts though, they did a fantastic job with that and the score really enhances the a number of otherwise "meh" moments.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, ultimately I think while I had fun watching Crystal while it was coming out weekly, the rewatch factor is fairly low for those reasons. If you're familiar with the Sailor Moon story already, I'd say to skip right to season 3. They got a new director and character designer, so the art is slightly improved, and it has a lot more fun, cute moments that were missing from the first 2 new seasons.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I agree with usamimi - I wasn't super jazzed about the first Sailormoon Crystal and kinda dropped it after a few episodes but I picked it up on Season 3 and watched a few more episodes and thought it was much better. I keep meaning to come back to it some time.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Welp I watched all of Devilman Crybaby & absolutely loved it. Anyone else here watch it yet?
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:Welp I watched all of Devilman Crybaby & absolutely loved it. Anyone else here watch it yet?
That's something I'm looking forward to getting around to watching more of. Looks really cool, love the color design from what I've seen so far.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

usamimi wrote:Welp I watched all of Devilman Crybaby & absolutely loved it. Anyone else here watch it yet?
I freakin' loooooved it. The bonkers art style, the retelling of the saga in a fresh way, but still with adherence to the arcs. Great stuff. Need to draw it! <3

Cutey Honey Universe soon, can't wait!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yes!! I'm totally looking forward to some new Cutie Honey! We haven't had one in a while that wasn't live action lol
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Just watched the Gantz: 0 movie. They've definitely come a long way with these CG films, and this one may be one of the best--right up there with the Harlock CG movie. I had limited knowledge of the Gantz franchise going into this, but the story kept me hooked. Sadly, it looks like streaming on Netflix is currently the only way to see it. It's one I'd love to own on Bluray.

Speaking of Netflix, I haven't had a chance to dive into Devilman Crybaby yet, but it's at the top of my watch list.
usamimi wrote:Yeah, ultimately I think while I had fun watching Crystal while it was coming out weekly, the rewatch factor is fairly low for those reasons. If you're familiar with the Sailor Moon story already, I'd say to skip right to season 3. They got a new director and character designer, so the art is slightly improved, and it has a lot more fun, cute moments that were missing from the first 2 new seasons.
Nice, I'll have jump to the third season! Glad to hear that they learned from the previous seasons and made some improvements.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Miss Hokusai. Recommended, though somewhat artistically unambitious as a film. I feel like biopics on artists tend often to be very literal and straightforward, which is ironic as that is usually the complete opposite of their subjects, who are usually famous BECAUSE they are bold and innovative. This film really could have used a bolder art style, like Princess Kaguya's. I guess the budget to do that isn't always there, but a different character designer with a more idiosyncratic style would have been more appropriate here.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

We're about halfway through Devilman Crybaby and it's great, I love the art style, the characterizations are sharp, the animation is creepy and innovative. I wish more remakes would be this bold.

Also enjoying seeing some of the reactions on social media. Some of the old veterans love it, others feel it's a betrayal of everything Devilman and feel the need to remind everybody often, which is always amusing; if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it, gang.

Also watching Attack No. 1 fansubs, that SSX set I got for SSX-mas, freaky 1930s Warner Brothers shorts, and a lot of other random stuff. Still getting caught up from missing stuff during my December trip, kinda.