What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

I'm not even saying Shinkai is bad. It's clear he's very talented, and he shows it in every film he makes. And, he's very successful right now, and deserves to be. I'm just saying I'm not really his target audience, but I wish I were because I can see he's very good.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:44 am I'm not even saying Shinkai is bad. It's clear he's very talented, and he shows it in every film he makes. And, he's very successful right now, and deserves to be. I'm just saying I'm not really his target audience, but I wish I were because I can see he's very good.
Oh totally! I def don't feel like his target audience now, either, lol. It would be nice to see him spread out and try something outside of his wheelhouse...he clearly is ok with working with sci-fi elements, I'd love to see him do something more sci-fi ish that isn't mostly focused on a teen romance, for example!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

Yeah, that assessment of Your Name vs Weathering with You feels about right to me. I was able to connect with YN despite not being a teenager or the target demographic, and couldn't get enough of it in theaters. It was a fun ride from start to finish. I saw Weathering with You just once, and while it was a good film, I never had that itch to revisit it outside of the cinemas.
llj

Post by llj »

Sakura Quest--Did this do well in the US? I feel like it hits a lot of checkmarks people especially in the West constantly ask for--actual adult women, passing the Bechdel Test, character driven show that doesn't fall into stereotypes. Easygoing series to just relax in front of after a hard day. People gotta put their wallet where their mouth is and support shows like this when it hits the criteria they constantly ask for, but I get the sense it was sort of ignored because people often DON'T put their money where their mouth is.

Golden Kamuy--Finally getting around to starting this and enjoying it. It seems like a sort of Rurouni Kenshin for today's generation of anime fans, even though it's not about samurais and swords it's got the same kind of appeal of being a pseudo-historical fiction with a ton of crazy looking characters.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I did watch Sakura Quest & I remember thinking it was pretty good! I think much like Shirobako, it had a small yet dedicated viewership, but somehow never really got noticed by a bigger audience. Which is a real shame, both of those series have a nice women-heavy cast of characters that are for the most part fairly well written.

The anime adaptation of Golden kamuy is a bit rough around the edges (people gave it so much crap for the cg bear xD), but once you get past that, it's a really interesting & unique series. I fell behind, I need to catch up again!
llj

Post by llj »

Oh yeah...the cg bear lol. I guess it didn't bother me as much because I see bad cg in a lot of anime nowadays. I feel like cg has sort of killed the mecha genre though since nobody seems to like cg mecha, and there are few really good 2d mecha designers still working in anime now. Sunrise probably employs all of them and they're not letting them go lol

I haven't seen Shirobako yet, but my sense is that show had bigger buzz than Sakura Quest because the whole working-in-an-anime-studio concept is more of a hook to anime fans than women-in-tourism is.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

That's true! Shirobako had a slightly bigger fanbase due to the nerd content, probably. :lol: At least we're getting more of that, apparently!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

llj wrote:Golden Kamuy--Finally getting around to starting this and enjoying it. It seems like a sort of Rurouni Kenshin for today's generation of anime fans, even though it's not about samurais and swords it's got the same kind of appeal of being a pseudo-historical fiction with a ton of crazy looking characters.
I've been watching Golden Kamuy off and on but this analysis is spot on. I can't believe it never occurred to me.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Been getting into Super High Speed Galvion, fansubs provided by Inka-Subs. I'm four episodes in and it seems to consist of people getting killed off or near death experiences. I happen to like the chemistry between the two main protagonist that ride/drive CIRCUS 1 car/robot. I've been doing an episode a night and theres only 22 total, so I should get this series knocked out soon.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I lamented one night, glancing at my My Anime List profile, as I added another title to my "Currently Watching", that I'm not really finishing anything from that list lately... Part of it is that while I'm home on paternity leave, I wasn't watching as much TV while the baby is awake. I'm starting to let that slide a little bit now.

So I'm about 7 episodes into Super Beast Machine God (Choujuukishin) Dancougar on RetroCrush. I love the character designs, that they are using real locations in North America and of course, the opening theme song. But some of the actual progress in each episode is either really good or really boring. I'm gonna try to stick it out and see if it can develop some consistency.

I am gonna have some prime couch time coming up soon, though, so I gathered some DVDs, BluRays and a fansub to try and get through, too, to get through some of this list. I jumped the gun during a long nap and some laundry and watched that fansub - Touch Movie 4: Are kara, kimi wa... Miss Lonely Yesterday I've been putting off this movie for at least 10 years, I finally broke down. I love the Touch TV series and think the compilation films (movies 1 - 3) are a great way to get a gist of the series or revisit it. Movie 4 is a 90 minute TV special; I think movie 5 is the same but shorter (like an hour). Movie 5 takes place well away from the events of the TV series and movies (and in my opinion isn't that great). Movie 4 takes place after the TV series/movies but still pretty close in chronology. I read an old Usenet rec.arts.anime synopsis/review of movie 4 and it wasn't too favorable. So with that in mind and my thoughts on movie 5, it sat.

My gut was right. Movie 4 takes place 3 years after the end of the TV series and 5 years after the pivotal event. Tatsuya has quit baseball; Minami has continued gymnastics; both have gone to different colleges. The two begin growing apart, naturally, as young adults do in this situation. A classmate of Tatsuya's tries to insert herself into this gap, much to Minami's dismay. There's some more drama around who the classmate is, and the return of Tatsuya's former rival Nitta trying to get in with Minami, which winds up in a dumb plot reveal, nonsensical "resolution" and a shoehorned ending. Like, I was legit mad.

I've had the Marmalade Boy movie on my list forever, too, and after reading a synopsis, it looks like I don't need to finish the TV series for that, so definitely gonna watch that and some more of the TV series while I sack out on the couch for the next couple days.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.