What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

I had to pull out of Crunchyroll early last year for financial reasons. Just when I first signed on too! I'm not destitute (i live decently enough during the pandemic with financial room to spare) but it's just not needed at the moment. I'll get back on once I get things more stable again.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Oh, you can watch them for free, you don't need a paid account. (You'll just get a bunch of commercials, lol.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Oh, I didn't know that. I just kind of checked out on the site, plus I tend to prefer to watch anime on a TV (I have an old widescreen Tv that doesn't do internet)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Ah, gotcha. If you have a PS4, they have a Playstation app you can download. That's what I use to watch it on our TV.
llj

Post by llj »

Nope, no PS4 either! Right now I only have a 360, Wii U and a bunch of handhelds in my current unit. I do have a PS3 at my parents' though
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

llj wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 pm I still have the first Marmalade Boy DVD set that was put out by Tokyopop...I never did complete it though. I guess the discotek release is an option, but I don't love the series enough (I do like the series, just not love it) to put it on the immediate buy list either.
Yeah, I missed getting the big yellow boxes from Tokyopop, so I ended up getting Discotek's DVDs. They are probably about the same, unless the transfers on the old TP boxes are bad (I don't know nor do I remember hearing about it). I am kicking myself because I think I got my DVDs shortly before the Blu-Rays were announced and I do like Marmalade Boy enough that I will eventually transfer up and sell my DVDs off.
usamimi wrote:Oh, you can watch them for free, you don't need a paid account. (You'll just get a bunch of commercials, lol.)
You'll get a bunch of the same commercials :lol:

But yeah, I don't think I've personally ever paid for a CR subscription and I just deal with the commercials (because I am old enough that I remember my cartoons being interrupted with commercials).

It's nice to see MB up there now - I don't remember seeing it last time I looked (which was a while ago).
llj wrote: Oh, I didn't know that. I just kind of checked out on the site, plus I tend to prefer to watch anime on a TV (I have an old widescreen Tv that doesn't do internet)
If your laptop (I think you mentioned laptop recently) has HDMI, you can connect to your TV that way. I've done it a few times for some very specific things I am trying to stream.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

The TP Marmalade Boy DVDs are....annoying, because they use COMIC SANS for the subtitle fonts. 8/

They also do the Fansub-style thing of leaving certain words untranslated and hoping you still have the paper liner notes that came with the DVD to read WTF the word means (example: https://twitter.com/bunnycartoon/status ... 5551266817 ).

So, yeah, the newer sets are definitely a HUGE upgrade in regards to that, at least. :lol: The picture is probably a slight upgrade, too.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

Wasn't able to get into Karasu Tengu Kabuto or Dai-Guard although I did try. Decided to finally give Ushio & Tora a watch, and I'm really glad I did. It's vibrant and dynamic. It's got well developed characters, intense action, a great sense of humor, some heart, and amazingly drawn yokai all with unique personalities and sinister interests. Definitely sticking with this one.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:30 pm The TP Marmalade Boy DVDs are....annoying, because they use COMIC SANS for the subtitle fonts. 8/

They also do the Fansub-style thing of leaving certain words untranslated and hoping you still have the paper liner notes that came with the DVD to read WTF the word means (example: https://twitter.com/bunnycartoon/status ... 5551266817 ).

So, yeah, the newer sets are definitely a HUGE upgrade in regards to that, at least. :lol: The picture is probably a slight upgrade, too.
Haha, oh no - that's terrible! If I ever translate something professionally or something of mine were to be, "no comic sans" (or some other godawful font) would be my "no green M&Ms". And yes, I think even my fansubs translated everything, which is such a weird choice by Tokyo Pop. The Discotek DVDs do not do this! The picture is a little cleaner than what you tweeted but not a huge improvement, though both are lightyears better than my old fansub tapes.
Elytron Frass wrote: Wasn't able to get into Karasu Tengu Kabuto or Dai-Guard although I did try.
I've always liked the concept of Dai-Guard but haven't really watched it to see how it works in execution.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

Elytron Frass wrote: Wasn't able to get into Karasu Tengu Kabuto or Dai-Guard although I did try.
Drew_Sutton wrote: I've always liked the concept of Dai-Guard but haven't really watched it to see how it works in execution.
I have peculiar tastes. I dislike anything that leans into slice of life territory. I either want something dark, psychological and/or surreal (Soultaker, Serial Experiments Lain), or something shallow, fun, and violent (Getter Robo Armegeddon, Redline). The last intriguing mecha anime I watched was Betterman which felt like a total feverdream. I get enough of reality out of my actual life. With Dai-Gaurd there was just too much focus on mundane, relatable content and the alien designs and artistry weren't very appealing or original enough to keep me there despite those elements. There's exceptions where the slice of life factor is tolerable and even achieve artistic greatness. For example the Patlabor films, Jin-Roh are anime which have a good deal of hyperrealism which I enthusiastically revisit due to the strength of other elements within them. Even Evangelion can be a bit too mundane at times for my liking but I happen to love than series despite the more domestic/relatable scenes since there's just as many interestingly weird wild and fantastical scenarios throughout.