What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by SteveH »

Enjoying Macross Delta an awful lot. The 'backstory info dump' episode where they spent the whole time pointing out how powerful music is (and namechecking most of the Macross series, they omitted Macross II) and I was all "Hey, um, we know this, it's why it's Macross" :)

Also really enjoying Mob Psycho 100.

I miss Bakuon!!

Caught the Gundam Build Fighters Try special. Too much time doing harem romcom jokes and not enough model kit building or fighting. :)

REALLY looking forward to Yamato 2202 next year.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

SteveH wrote:
I miss Bakuon!!
I made it 5 episodes and I couldn't take it past that. I just don't have any motivation to finish that series, and the last one I remember being kinda good was when Anime Jesus talked to the main girl about why God loves motorcycles. Was there anything past 5 that would get someone like me motivated to finishing up the series?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

DKop wrote:
SteveH wrote:
I miss Bakuon!!
I made it 5 episodes and I couldn't take it past that. I just don't have any motivation to finish that series, and the last one I remember being kinda good was when Anime Jesus talked to the main girl about why God loves motorcycles. Was there anything past 5 that would get someone like me motivated to finishing up the series?
mmmm, not really. I mean, there's a couple more appearances from Motorcycle Jesus, and we learn the fate of the protagonist's 'talking' training bike, and there's an insane race around school to try and build interest in the Motorcycle club.

It's mostly harmless MOE nonsense but for some reason there's just an earnestness to it that I found appealing instead of cloying.

The mystery of Lime-senpai is never solved. The rich girl in the sidecar doesn't graduate to her own bike (I assume that happens later in the manga). we're introduced to a new girl who is young and short and races minibikes so they bring her in but that's all that happens with her (altho the bit in the arcade with playing Sega's Ride On motorcycle racing game is pretty funny because ARCADE and dammit I miss arcades).

Mostly harmless. If you can watch it for free via some supplier or the other I'd suggest it, it's not something I would buy on DVD unless there was unaired episodes or something.

But I have been touched by MOE and am forever tainted. :)
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

SteveH wrote: But I have been touched by MOE and am forever tainted. :)
There is still time to repent my son, the Lord (of Manga Osamu Tezuka) is a being of forgiveness and can cleanse you of your moe-gressions.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

DKop wrote:
SteveH wrote: But I have been touched by MOE and am forever tainted. :)
There is still time to repent my son, the Lord (of Manga Osamu Tezuka) is a being of forgiveness and can cleanse you of your moe-gressions.
But, see, I'm an anime agnostic. I just can't accept Tezuka as my lord and savior. I believe he existed and walked the earth but I honor him as a prophet, not as god.

No, my path is much more complex and lonely. I must carry the burden of this. :)
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Just finished Cross Ange, which I ended up really enjoying. I'm glad they stuck with the 25 episode format, which seemed to be a perfect amount to tell the intended story. I'm getting tired of recent anime that try to cram too much in 12 episodes or, worse, ones that go longer and have to pad the story with filler.

Also finished Dirty Pair Flash. Have mixed feelings on this one. I love the original Dirty Pair, so this revision took some time to warm up to. I think the second story arc was probably my favorite, but the series as a whole wasn't unwatchable by any means.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I'm still re-watching Zeta Gundam, albeit I'm watching it dubbed all the way through this time. While the acting is iffy and stilted in spots, it's not as bad as my first impression was when I first heard it. One big point in its favour is that it doesn't feel like a dub done 15+ years after the show was made, it feels like a dub that could have been made in the 80s, along with all the pros and cons that entails of course.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I've been watching a bunch of Go Nagai stuff lately, such as the '70s Devilman anime and the Kekko Kamen OVA from the '90s. I'll likely get around to the '80s Devilman OVA this weekend and, if time allows, maybe start on Devil Lady.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

_D_ wrote:Almost caught up to the current run of One Piece. I'm up to episode 655. Originally I started at 700 or so but went back and over the past 8 months watched the whole thing. I like this series a lot but there don't seem to be a lot of fans of the show in town. Dragonball on the other hand...
I really love One Piece, so it's nice to know that someone else on this forum does too. ;) I'm just getting caught up as well, watching it with X-Kid Z. My only major gripe about the anime is when the Navy or random pirates that aren't main characters are running on the screen yelling "Nigero!!!" for anywhere from 5-10 mins per episode. I keep having to skip ahead. :lol: I haven't finished Dressrosa yet (no spoilers!) but I think we're almost done. It's one of those arcs where there is unnecessary stalling and characters you don't really care about getting too much air time. Ah well!! I told X-Kid we should watch Strong World and Film Z after finishing Dressrosa.

I'm about 4 episodes into Kimagure Orange Road. I like it, but I'm sort of finding it hard to pay attention...it's sort of slow and boring at first, to be utterly honest. But I know overall I'll like it. Let's see, what else did I watch while I was away from the forums...Urusei Yatsura: Only You (only UY movie I watched was Beautiful Dreamer, so making my way through the others), and UY: Inaba the Dreamer OVA.

OH! DAGASHI KASHI! I enjoyed the heck out of this short series, it was so fun to learn about the different dagashi, and the show is really cute and funny. Only problem was I always wanted the snacks they ate in the show, and they don't sell them where I live. :(
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Aww it's nice to see you posting Animusubi! Haven't seen you around in a while :)

Dagashi Kashi is the candy one right? I've only had Dagashi once & it was so long ago...I should try some again.

I watched all the current eps of the new Glass Mask 3D shorts on Crunchyroll this week & I gotta say....even tho the animation is mediocre, if you're a fan of Glass Mask, it's funny as hell. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*