Old Scripts... are they around?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Old Scripts... are they around?

Post by gaijinpunch »

Recently wound up explaining the whole subtitling process of old on another forum. For fun, I started googling around for the fruits of my labor from that decade I like to call The 90's. Much to my surprise, I can't find any of them. Not the end of the world, but I figured some dark corner of the interwebs would have something!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Old Scripts... are they around?

Post by Daniel »

I have a ton of old stuff, and sometime soon (whenever I can find the time) I am planning to put up a file server for us aging otakus that will host old historic stuff like that. For the time being, is there anything in particular that you're looking for? I have a few Dragonball/Z scripts up right now on the site proper: http://animepast.net/Time_Capsule/Old_D ... s/Scripts/
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

Specifically Maison Ikkoku 1-96 that I timed. :)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

gaijinpunch wrote:Specifically Maison Ikkoku 1-96 that I timed. :)
You certainly have my respect. I watched a guy do some Legend of the Galactic Heroes timing on one episode back in the '90s. I think he went by "Cactus Subtitling" and he was one of the first to work on LOGH. That is meticulous work that requires a great deal of dedication!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I commissioned a translation for "Flying Phantom Ship" back in the day - it wound up being fansubbed, but by another group with a different script - and recently another fansub outfit asked for my script for a new fansub of the film. I had to send them a hard copy- didn't have it in any kind of digital format.

I know back when Corn Pone Flicks was subtitling Captain Harlock TV episodes, Matt was using a consumer video titling device that could only hold about a half an episode's worth of dialog at a time, and couldn't save the text at all. Such a pain. Later groups were producing new fansubs of the show, and had to basically transcribe the translation from VHS or DVD copies of the CPF subs.

Back before people were fansubbing we'd pass around xeroxes of scripts for films like Adieu Galaxy Express and Arrivederci Yamato, so that when we screened the film at the anime club meetings people could read along.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

A cursory check revealed a few Maison Ikkoku text files (in Maison_Ikkoku.zip below) -- are any of those files what you're looking for?

I know that Todd (Heibi) is still having fun subtitling with old equipment/software: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108

Just for fun, there are a bunch of older Maison Ikkoku images up here as well: http://animepast.net/Time_Capsule/Old_D ... on_Ikkoku/
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

We had people transcribe the AA scripts, AFAIK... or maybe they were available. They needed heavy editing though, as anyone knows. Brutal work. People are so spoiled these days!
A cursory check revealed a few Maison Ikkoku text files (in Maison_Ikkoku.zip below) -- are any of those files what you're looking for?
Thanks, but unfortunately no. The naming convention was something like MI8A.js I think for a while, then changed to maisonikkoku8a.js (.js Jacosub extension). That's going off of memory though. I knew I should have saved those.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Have a lot of the old scripts but I think they are copyrighted. Would have to contact the translator for those, if I can find her...
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

_D_ wrote:Have a lot of the old scripts but I think they are copyrighted. Would have to contact the translator for those, if I can find her...
Just specifically looking for the ones I timed, specifically MI. I'm wondering if they were taken down off of most sites (assuming they were around) after Viz released them.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

AnimeSennin wrote:
I know that Todd (Heibi) is still having fun subtitling with old equipment/software: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108
Yep, still using the old equipment. But I finish up with modern equipment after the timing is complete.