The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by usamimi »

I must admit, I kinda want to watch Ruin Explorers again to see if it's like I remember now! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Scanning a few flyers that were available at Tokyo Anime Fair 2013 a few weeks ago....

Godmars, Attack No. 1 and a few others...

Cat's Eye - 30th Anniversary

Kyojin no Hoshi

usamimi

Post by usamimi »

wow, nice! Cat's Eye was always a series I wanted to watch, it sounded like a fun one.
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Wow, Ohayou Spank boxset. That's a show I've always been really curious about.
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Japanese really do gouge Japanese with this stuff...
Old TV shows from the 70's... 35,000 yen. :|
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Someone told me they went to Costco today and found that they're now selling all of the available Disney Ghibli releases on DVD for $13 apiece. (Even "My Neighbors The Yamadas" and "Pom Poko"!) So if you're looking to get any, I guess now's the perfect time!
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

usamimi wrote:Someone told me they went to Costco today and found that they're now selling all of the available Disney Ghibli releases on DVD for $13 apiece. (Even "My Neighbors The Yamadas" and "Pom Poko"!) So if you're looking to get any, I guess now's the perfect time!

Also if you are a member of the Disney Movie Rewards program you can redeem 1075 points and get "My Neighbors The Yamadas" on DVD

"My Neighbor Totoro" and "Howl's Moving Castle" are coming out on Blu-Ray on May 21st
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I really do want to get Totoro on blu-ray, but if you're not super picky on having it in HD or not, it's a pretty good deal.

That's how I got "Yamadas" on DVD! XD It's a good deal, since it's not that hard to get Disney Movie points. (I recommend joining anyway, when they released Nausicaa on blu-ray, they sent members a $10 off coupon for it if they had a Nausicaa DVD barcode to enter, which was a great deal--I think I only ended up paying like $12 for my copy at Target with that coupon. So they might do something similar in the future for other Ghibli releases.)
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

usamimi wrote:Yeah, I really do want to get Totoro on blu-ray, but if you're not super picky on having it in HD or not, it's a pretty good deal.

That's how I got "Yamadas" on DVD! XD It's a good deal, since it's not that hard to get Disney Movie points. (I recommend joining anyway, when they released Nausicaa on blu-ray, they sent members a $10 off coupon for it if they had a Nausicaa DVD barcode to enter, which was a great deal--I think I only ended up paying like $12 for my copy at Target with that coupon. So they might do something similar in the future for other Ghibli releases.)
Disney Movie Rewards is a great idea, They give points away all time; x-mas, b-day, sign-up anny and monthly newsletter points. Plus if you only buy the odd blu you could get to 1000+ points in no time which is about what a free dvd/blu is now. I doubt another $10 coupon will happen. They have been real stingy with coupons lately. Only the bigger releases get coupons anymore. The $10 Nausicaa was more to get people to start buying the Blu's when they already had the DVD's, that time has passed for the most part. There are still deals to be had. Heck you can join the Disney Movie Club and get 9 Blu-Ray's shipped for $90+/- and then cancel. That will get you every Miyazaki film out now plus some others.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

That's true...I heard they had some pre-order deal when Arrietty came out, but I missed it because I didn't read the newsletter in time (whoops). Since then I haven't heard much, other than the occasional coupons for their big name releases, like you mentioned.