The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by _D_ »

Anyone have a list of which Japanese disks are subtitled in English? That's for domestic release discs. Hopefully there is enough interest in Japan to get at least some of the releases done this way instead of trying to get the discs marketed in English language countries. But seeing the prices of these discs vs. US/UK/Canada releases makes me feel it won't come to pass. I'm trying to think of any box sets over here that go for $350 US but can't at the moment...
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

usamimi wrote:Someone told me they went to Costco today and found that they're now selling all of the available Disney Ghibli releases on DVD for $13 apiece. (Even "My Neighbors The Yamadas" and "Pom Poko"!) So if you're looking to get any, I guess now's the perfect time!
For My Neighbors the Yamadas....if you enter all your codes for Disney Rewards...you can get that one for free.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, nordstar and I were just talking about that on the previous page. ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

_D_ wrote:Anyone have a list of which Japanese disks are subtitled in English? That's for domestic release discs. Hopefully there is enough interest in Japan to get at least some of the releases done this way instead of trying to get the discs marketed in English language countries. But seeing the prices of these discs vs. US/UK/Canada releases makes me feel it won't come to pass. I'm trying to think of any box sets over here that go for $350 US but can't at the moment...
You're not talking about the Japanese Ghibli movie DVDs that Disney also releases, right? The Japanese Ghibli movies all have subtitles and even dubs when available, but I think maybe you might already know that.

I haven't researched extensively, and my research is mostly limited to the time I can spend at Tsutaya when my family needs me elsewhere. But finding Japanese anime DVDs with English subs are rare. The JP Gundam Unicorn DVDs have English subtitles though, I was pleased to find. I think Bandai had that intention from the beginning, because Gundam is a huge seller and they knew that people wouldn't wait for the domestic DVDs. Plus, Bandai has called it quits in America, so I'm glad that I can watch Gundam UC subbed over here.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I dunno how I missed hearing about this, but apparently Maiden Japan is re-releasing New Dominion Tank Police?! http://www.fandompost.com/2013/04/26/se ... -revealed/

Awesome!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

I'm hoping the original Dominion OAVs get either re-released or 'license rescued' by someone.

Hey, question for the room. Was it New Dominion or the original that had butchered up the music? I seem to recall Original Dominion had its original BGM because I went right out and bought the Japanese CD, but time passes and some things are a bit 'gray' now. :)
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

usamimi wrote:I dunno how I missed hearing about this, but apparently Maiden Japan is re-releasing New Dominion Tank Police?! http://www.fandompost.com/2013/04/26/se ... -revealed/

Awesome!
I just ran across the announcement today as well, Great News!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I received notice from Rightstuf that my Rose of Versailles preorder has shipped! Oh yay-ness!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Discotek announced plans today for releasing Monster Rancher both in Japanese and the edited Dub versions in separate box sets. I know that's a late 90s series, but I was surprised just because I seriously never thought anyone would even consider releasing that one. (Since it was considered sort of a flop, compared to Pokemon.) First set they expect to release in December.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:Discotek announced plans today for releasing Monster Rancher both in Japanese and the edited Dub versions in separate box sets. I know that's a late 90s series, but I was surprised just because I seriously never thought anyone would even consider releasing that one. (Since it was considered sort of a flop, compared to Pokemon.) First set they expect to release in December.
I remember liking that show alot. Kinda want to pick it up. I always though Pokemon's anime series was so overrated after the first major season. It just got old after a while.

Now I'm hoping they'll get the rights to all the original Digimon television series in Japanese. I would buy those so fast!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram